Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Storytelling

I’ve recently discovered that Kevin is a marvelous storyteller. He would deny it, being the modest person he is. But, putting aside all my biases (I think he’s the most talented, smartest, handsomest, nicest person I’ve ever met), I think he’s a FANTASTIC storyteller. I was tired one night last week and, out of the blue, I asked him to tell me a Christmas story. He said okay, paused for a moment, and then began this very touching story of a little girl whose father was a cripple and very poor and couldn’t afford a Christmas tree. The girl had grand visions of a beautiful, star-topped tree. Days went by and she didn’t get her tree. I started getting teary-eyed thinking how sad that was. I mean, all the poor girl wanted was a tree and she couldn’t have one! Kevin spent all this time building up the story and getting me very attached to the character and personality of this little girl. I just wanted to hold the little girl and tell her that "I will move HEAVEN and EARTH to get you a TREE!!!!!"

Later Kevin explained to me that he once took a class on writing stories and the one thing he remembered was that every good story has some sort of tension and then resolution. The tension can be anything - Man vs. Man, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Himself, etc. Interesting . . .

Kevin, is there anything you can’t do? If I didn’t love you so much, I’d HATE you.

No comments: