Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Capitol Christmas

The rotunda of the Capitol building has taken on a sacred air for the holidays. This morning, as I neared the entrance of the rotunda, I slowed my gait and my senses took inventory of the wondrous sights surrounding me. In the dim of the room, I beheld wreaths and boughs of greenery with red ribbon draped across the balconies. Passersby whispered observations that echoed throughout the room. Despite the whispers, the room seemed silent. The faces of Columbus and Queen Isabella seemed contemplative - as they gazed into the poinsettia below them. After leaving the sanctuary of the rotunda, I proceeded through the heavy wooden doors to the front lawn of the Capitol. There, a cheery, decorated Christmas tree greeted me. I love little glimpses of Christmas, like this.

The state Capitol really is a beautiful place. It saddens me that so much wickedness and evildoing goes on inside its great walls. Why must man always corrupt something beautiful? Until Christ returns to judge the world, corruption and depravity will continue. I can only pray that, where there is darkness, God’s people can be present and courageous to represent His light and truth. Evil may triumph for a moment but Truth will ultimately prevail. That is my hope for the future.

No comments: