Thursday, December 18, 2003

Madness and Insanity

Both Kevin and I agree that Christmas is filled with way too much madness and materialism. As much as I LOVE Christmas, this year I'm actually looking forward to the New Year. (Can't believe I put that in writing!) Ugh. Last night for instance, we went to the mall to do some shopping. It was the first "free" night we've had in over a week. We were both exhausted from the day's activities and getting minimal sleep for the last month. Neither of us had done any shopping for each other - we'd spent most of our time, energy and resources on other things and people. (Which, hey, that's great! We love Christmas festivity and we especially love the "significant others" in our lives.) As we stood gazing at the madness around us in the crowded mall, we looked at each other and both agreed that it all was so INSANE. So, if we get around to going out to shop sometime before Christmas - great. Fabulous. If not - that's great too. Wonderful!!

We left the mall and went for a drive to see the lights of the "Fabulous Forties" instead. There were a lot of really creative light arrangements in this artsy district. We were very impressed, actually. Our evening was filled with exclamations of, "Ooh, I like that one" and "Oh! Look at that!" One house was all dolled-up with Disney characters and other cartoons. It had a big "list" on the front yard that said "Good Boys and Girls." I told Kevin to stop the car so I could go put our names on the list. I took my pen and wrote "Kevin and Amy Koons" right in the center of the list.

I've decided that Santa can do the shopping for us this year. We've tried really hard to be good.

No comments: