Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Why I Try

Every piece of legislation I care a hoot about, and have testified on, today (that would be four bills) has died in committee. It’s very disheartening. Ugh. I have to ask myself why I do this. I’ve only been doing this for a week and it’s so amazingly easy to get discouraged. You’d logically think that no SANE person would stand up there and talk about these issues when they know it will fall on deaf ears. You’d think!

Walking back from the capitol building, I was really in a daze. But in mid-stride, I made a conscious decision to not let discouragement overwhelm me. The reason why is twofold: 1) I believe in ultimate justice and 2) I also believe that I have a duty to do what’s right no matter what the consequences. I need to maintain a tough constitution and move forward, chin-up, knowing God’s in control and only requires that I continue doing good.

Tomorrow (get this) I’m testifying on a TAX BILL!!! I had just sworn to Karen the day before I agreed to testify that I would NEVER testify on a tax bill. There are two reasons for this: 1) I worked for a CPA once and HATED it and 2) number-crunching often freaks me out (that’s why I went to law school - no math). But then this sweet leg aide called me up and said she couldn’t get anyone else and begged me. I’m such a glutton for punishment. I’m really dreading this one, really. And now everyone is going to think I’m the sucker they can call to testify on random bills because I’m too nice/stupid to say no.

No comments: