Thursday, January 15, 2004

"The Opt-Out Revolution"

Many of you may have heard about the NY Times Magazine’s article on October 23, 2003, called "The Opt-Out Revolution." The question "Why don’t more women get to the top?" The answer: "Because they choose not to go there." Highly educated women with MBAs, MDs, JDs, CPAs, are choosing to stay home with their kids.

Honestly, having a law degree meant more to me at age 18 than it does now. I don’t mean to say that I’m indifferent about my education. I’m very, VERY glad that I finished law school and passed the bar exam. And I will someday advise my daughters that it is very important that they pursue a higher education. Maybe when I was 18 and wanted to be a lawyer so badly it was because it was the whole "magic" of craving something I didn’t have and, now that I have it, it’s not quite as magical anymore. And, of course, I’m also the type of person that loves a good challenge. But now, that challenge has been attained. That craving has been satisfied.

When reflecting on the NY Times article, I remembered a conversation I had with my dear friend, Nicole, who is also an attorney. It was one of those moments when we were talking about similar struggles we’ve had and goals we have and we both reached the same conclusion. Nicole said it best, "I’m glad I went to law school because, someday, when I stay home with my kids it will be because I WANT to, not because I have to."

So girls, get your education and, if God later sees fit to have you be married . . . fine. I would advise to cherish your calling whatever that is and not second guess God’s plan for your life. A verse that has meant a lot to ME lately: "But godliness with contentment is great gain." I Tim. 6:6 That’s my two cents. ;)

To be frank, I have never fantasized about changing soiled diapers and cleaning toilet bowls. (Ask Kevin, cleaning the toilet is my least favorite job, next to cleaning the shower!) And I doubt all these executive women in the NY Times article, who are leaving their cush jobs, hallucinate about that sort of grunt-work either. But heaven bless them for putting their kids first.

No comments: