Tuesday, January 06, 2004

On My Soapbox

I’ve been learning more about friendship lately. Friendship is a gift. In order for a friendship to exist, it takes two people willing to extend that gift to each other. It takes two people willing to reach out beyond themselves and BE friendly. Sometimes friendships evolve over many years. Sometimes they happen instantly. I think Christians should always be willing to extend the gift of friendship to another person. I realize you can’t have quality relationships with every person. Who has the time? But, there is a difference between being bosom-buds and being friendly and offering a smile and companionship, when you can. This is especially true when someone else openly offers the gift of friendship to you. How can anyone reject that? I just don’t understand. The problem is that many people are caught up in their own lives and are happy with their own click of friends. They are unwilling to reach out beyond their own comfortable, preexisting friend-circle. I think Christians should be the friendliest people in the world. And personality predisposition is no valid excuse, either.

No comments: