Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Of Kings and Challenges

Go Kings! I’m slowly becoming a King’s fan. Growing up in LA, I suppose I was, subconsciously, a Lakers fan. But, several weeks ago, Kevin very logically explained to me why I shouldn’t be a Lakers fan. Seriously, it made total sense. And it’s a good thing I’m no longer a Lakers fan because that is cause for the death-penalty in Sacramento county, I think. For instance, last night we went to a Kings’ game with some friends. Suddenly, during a time-out, the whole crowd started cheering. I asked Kev why they were cheering since it was time-out. He explained that they just showed on the screen that the Lakers had been beat by another team that night. You see, Kings fans not only get wild when the Kings do well, they get wild when the Lakers lose.
______________________________________

Today is my first time testifying in a legislative committee hearing. Here are the challenges of today: Figuring out what the heck I should say about my bill. Being notified at the last minute that the bill has been completely revamped. Re-figuring out what I’m going to say. Knowing Karen is watching me on the TV screen while I speak. Knowing Karen is also TAPING me blabbering my mouth away on the TV screen. (Now posterity will be able to see what an idiot their great-great-great-grandmother was.)

Seriously, I think it’s good to be forced out of your comfort zone now and then. The whole sweaty palms, racing heart, butterflies-in-your-stomach condition is probably good for your general well-being. (Like those old piano recitals.) But it sure is misery while you have to endure it.

No comments: