Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Conversations

My little brother, David (9), was in a talkative mood last night. I was on the phone with him for quite a while. He was excited to tell me about his chemistry class. I thought to myself, "Geesh, he CAN’T be old enough to take chemistry. It’s impossible!" Then I talked to Melissa (7). She was excited to tell me about her ballet class. "Are you taking ballet instead of chemistry?" I asked. "NO," she said, insulted. "I’m taking chemistry too!" Good grief.

The most shocking thing I learned last night is that my MOM is "dancing" too. It’s not ballet but an exercise-dance class afterwards. Huh. This will certainly take a while to digest. I mean, I think that’s awesome - just unexpected. :)

I had a great conversation with my mom last night, too. I’ve really grown to appreciate my mom more and more over the last three or four years. My mom and I are SO different from each other. But I really appreciate my mom’s sacrifices for me. I appreciate her genuine love and friendliness displayed to every person she meets. And I appreciate her godliness. Here is an example of her godliness: You know those annoying political flyers that come in the mail to junk up your house during elections? You know how most people toss them in the trash without giving them a second thought? My mom actually takes them, cuts the faces out, pastes the faces on a 3x5 card, and PRAYS for each of them every day! Last night on the phone, she took some time to pray with me. Yes, I love my mom. She’s a great example to me. She makes me want to be a better person. And I thank God for her.
__________________________________________

Here is the question of the day: What is the definition of self-control?

Last night Kevin inquired as to how many cookies I actually ate.
Amy: I can’t remember. Probably at least 10!
Kevin: Now, now. Where’s your self-control?
Amy: I had perfect self-control while eating those cookies.
Kevin: No you didn’t. Otherwise you wouldn’t have eaten that many.
Amy: Yes I did. Because I wanted every cookie I ate. Every bite was willful. If I ultimately did not want the cookies and ate them anyway, THAT would have displayed a lack of self-control. But since I knowingly and intentionally ate them with a desire to do so, I was in perfect control.
Kevin: Um . . . no, dear. You misunderstand.

No comments: