Wednesday, March 24, 2004

What a day . . .

. . . and it’s not even over. At noon I went to a "Support the Pledge of Allegiance" rally at the capitol. I really didn’t have time to do this because my desk was piled high with other projects. But I’m glad I went anyway. It was totally worth it to get to see "Mrs. Sacramento" and "Mrs. North Sacramento" make total fools of themselves. (I was troubled that I didn’t see "Miss Sacramento" at the rally. I can only presume she’s for taking "Under God" out of the Pledge. What’s this world coming to?)

Tom McClintock had the best response to this whole mess: "America is unique because we were founded on the principle that certain rights are absolute and cannot be alienated from the people. The source of these rights is the Creator. To secure those rights, the government was instituted by men. But those rights supersede and predate government. The words "under God" acknowledge our Creator and stand in the way of an all-powerful state." And that is why the liberals are having a cow about those two little words in our Pledge.

Anyway . . . back to "Mrs. Sacramento" and "Mrs. North Sacramento." They were both wearing the largest, most hideous crowns I’ve ever seen, they were both flabby, and they had no fashion sense. One of them was wearing a frumpy-looking teal Hawaiian dress!! Can you believe it? I told Christine and Angela, "I’ve never before thought about entering a beauty contest because I never thought I’d have a chance. After viewing these ladies, I’m highly encouraged." Then we all had a good laugh. Soon, one of them started singing on stage . . . and we laughed some more.

Maybe it was all a joke. Maybe they just made up some banners at home and declared themselves to be beauty queens.

No comments: