Wednesday, March 03, 2004

"Cheemo"

Several months ago I bought a frozen food item called "Cheemo." Cheemo, from what I can tell by the picture on the front, is a pasta, potato and cheese dish. Sounds exciting huh? Well . . . Cheemo is still sitting in our freezer right now because every time I look at it, it turns me off. I’ll pick it up and ask myself, "Why would I want to eat something called Cheemo?" The better question is: "Why did I BUY something called Cheemo?!!"

I’ll tell you why.

Because I am just like the average American Joe Blow consumer out there, a sheep being led to the slaughter, in the merciless hands of the marketing executives.

It has been said that Americans "save" money by spending it. I believe this to be the truth. I am a prime example of this. If something is on sale, I am more likely to buy it - even if I wasn’t planning on buying it to begin with. Thus, the money I could have put in my savings account is squandered on something I didn’t need (or even want!) because it was a "bargain." And, you know what? I’m going to learn my lesson from Cheemo. I’m not gonna do that anymore. I have a good mind to take that blasted Cheemo wrapper and frame it, and put it in the closet, or somewhere else conspicuous, so it can be a perpetual example to me. Forever and ever.

And ever.

No comments: