Monday, March 22, 2004

A Day in the Park

In order to immerse ourselves in the beauty of spring, yesterday afternoon we went to Land Park.

We took a leisurely stroll by the pond. We happened upon a group of cute little fuzzy-yellow ducklings waddling along next to their mother. We stood and watched them for a while. Our happy reverie was rudely interrupted by two little squealing brats, a boy and a girl, who were chasing an ugly goose nearby. That was fine. I didn’t care about the stupid goose anyway. And he was fast enough to escape.

Suddenly, however, the kids turned and started chasing the innocent little ducklings. (Their dad was following them laughing all the way!) The ducklings panicked and started running. But their stubby little legs were not fast enough to carry them away. The mother duck started running toward the kids in order to protect her brood. She soon backed away when she realized it was useless. I was concerned the kids would step on a duckling and crush it to death. I started yelling at the kids - like a maniac - to leave the poor ducks alone. They ignored me and continued to torture the ducklings. I was appalled and disgusted by their blatant disregard for innocent duckling life.

I WANTED TO KILL THESE KIDS.

Kevin was more level-headed about it and prevented my homicidal thoughts from being brought to fruition. He tried to reason with me: human life is more important than duck life. To no avail.

We continued to walk around the pond and the little brats continued to wickedly torment the ducklings. Soon I saw the little girl reach for a duckling. She caught it in her chubby hands and squealed loudly. I turned to Kevin and said, "I hope she gets a disease."

Kevin now thinks I am one of those whacked-out animal rights activists. But I have no sympathy for cruel little brats and their rotten parents. (But don’t worry - otherwise I’m really not a judgmental person.) ;)

The girl eventually let the duckling go free. It took him about ten minutes to helplessly wander around the pond to find his family. Poor little guy.

No comments: