Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Squabbles

Modern psychologists tell us that typical marriage problems involve things like communication, power struggles, intimacy/sex, money problems, etc. And then I remember a married friend once telling me about her biggest fight with her husband. It all centered on how to make fruit salad. You see, she doesn’t make it like his mom does. I suppose a simple solution to this problem is to make him prepare the fruit salad, or not have it at all. But it is strange how the littlest things can often cause the biggest problems in relationships.

Both of us being lawyers, you’d think that Kevin and I would be constantly splitting hairs over everything. Although we healthfully disagree about certain things on a semi-regular basis, it’s usually all in fun and good sportsmanship. Like last night, for instance. In my zealousness to wash my face every night, I typically leave the bathroom sink looking like a drenched hurricane zone. Kevin, who normally ignores this little irritation, couldn’t help but playfully comment on it last night, "You are the messiest face-washer that I’ve ever seen."
"Well, I had to have something to distinguish me from all the other women who wanted you," I replied.
"You could have been the tidiest face-washer," he quickly responded.
And then we laughed.

Although major irritations and problems must be dealt with in a more serious fashion, I firmly believe that a good sense of humor will solve most problems in relationships.

No comments: