Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Words of the Weekend

We took a trip to L.A. to see the folks. My dad, Christy, and Betsy (together with Melissa) are enough to make me laugh for hours on end. Here are two comments I distinctly remember at the time of this writing . . .

Dad: There’s this old lady at church who has a really worn-out bible. I told her how much I appreciate seeing a worn out bible, because that means it’s been well-read.
Christy: Or it could mean that she throws it around in the car a lot, like I do.
Dad: Or maybe she got it at the Goodwill.
. . .

Christy: You know that handicapped lady? Wasn’t she nice? I’ve decided to knit her a scarf. I think that will make her feel happy. I mean, since she’s handicapped, she can’t do much, but, hey, she can wear a scarf!
. . .

We went swing dancing with Christy on Valentine’s evening. I’ve been trying to convince Kevin to dance with me for some time now. My main argument: "It’s great exercise, but you’re having so much fun, you don’t realize it!" After taking a brief lesson, we sat down to watch the pros for a while.

Kevin: (observing all the fat people dancing) I thought you said dancing was good exercise.
Amy: You’re approaching it wrong. Think of how fat they would be if they never danced at all.
. . .

Before we left, David asked us when we were coming back. When he didn’t get a quick answer from us, he and Melissa ran to the kitchen calendar, picked some random date in April (I guess they figure that they can’t demand we come more than every two months) and decided that’s when we should come back to see them. When my mom mentioned that maybe they could come to Sacramento to see us, David moaned, "No, it’s such a long drive!"

________________________________

Two Valentine’s ago, Kevin proposed marriage to me at the lovely National Cathedral gardens’ gazebo, in the pitch black solitude of the night. From that moment, we knew that Valentine’s would always be an extra special day for us. We just knew that every Valentine’s would be so romantic. So, in pursuit of that goal, last year we went to dinner with Kev’s parents and this year we had dinner with mine!

But it was fun, in its own way. Next year, though, I’m pretty determined to do a twosome.

No comments: