Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Agreeing In the End

Our bible study has announced that, after studying Purpose Driven Life, it will do a six-week study on the movie, Passion, contemplating certain questions the movie has raised. Several of us have, again, queried as to when we will study the actual bible in our "bible study." This is yet to be determined. Apparently, to some, it is more advantageous to study pop-Christian books and movies. Sigh. BIG sigh.

A: I have an idea.
K: What?
A: Both of us will go to the theater next week and buy tickets for Passion. I think we probably should support Mel Gibson and his noble ambitions. But, here’s the plan . . . after we’ve bought our tickets, we’ll enter the theater and . . . You will go see Passion (so you can tell me about it) and I’ll go see something else.
K: What do you mean?
A: If the ticket guy says, go two doors to the right, that’s where you go! But I’ll go three doors to the left, and see what else is playing.
K: Why?!
A: The more I hear about it, the less I want to see it.
K: Because?
A: It sounds so gory and violent. I’m sure it’s all realistic but I think I already appreciate that aspect of the crucifixion. I hate bloody movies. Saving Private Ryan was my limit.
K: Well, I don’t think I want to see it for other reasons. (He then told me his reasons. If he wants his view represented, he’ll have to blog for himself because I know I won’t do his view the justice it deserves.) :)
A: Hmmm . . . (pause)
K: I’m very relieved, you know.
A: Why?
K: I was preparing for a fight.
A: What do you mean?
K: I had already decided I didn’t want to see it and was getting ready to have to defend myself because I thought, for sure, you’d want to see it.
A: Well, I guess everything worked out, then. But how else are we going to prepare for our bible study discussions?
K: We will read the bible.
. . .

And now we are 18 bucks richer!

No comments: