Monday, February 23, 2004

Kidnapped

Kevin squealed. I’m now a quarter of a century. For my birthday, Kevin told me he had dinner plans. As far as what kind of dinner plans, I had no clue.

So that’s why I was surprised to find that when Kevin picked me up from work, several hours early, he had packed my bags and was planning on taking me for a weekend getaway to Napa Valley. (He didn’t know what shoes I wanted to wear the next day so he brought four pairs! Very cute.) We stayed at a gorgeous bed and breakfast in the middle of a vineyard just outside the small town of Calistoga, famous for its hotsprings. The B&B, called Chateau de Vie, was incredible. It was nestled in the heart of the valley with mountains and rolling vineyards all around it. It truly was a serene getaway.

Napa in the spring is one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen. Right now the bright yellow mustard flowers are starting to take over the valley. Everything was so amazingly green and lush. It was indescribably beautiful. It constantly took my breath away.

After dinner in Calistoga, Kevin had scheduled a trip to the spa - for both of us. The fact that he was willing to do it with me is evidence that he truly loves me. The first thing we did was a mud bath. Kevin said his idea of playing in mud always involved a soccer field, or something similar. So, I know it was a sacrifice for him. But, actually, we both really enjoyed it. Our attendant in the mud bath informed us about the contents of the mud. After she left, neither of us could decide if she had said "mineral" or "manure." Oh well. The mud was very hot at first but soon became very calming. The whole treatment also included a spa and a "wrap" in a room that smelled like peppermint. We ended our evening with full massages. The whole experience was very fun, relaxing, and romantic. I told Kevin I will never forget seeing him all covered with mud.

The next day, after a great breakfast, we went hiking. After that, we drove through some beautiful green hills, through some giant redwood forests, and then on to the coast. We visited "one of the most dangerous beaches in California," as the warning sign stated. Apparently there are a lot of "sleeper waves" at this beach and many people have died. We spent a while watching the powerful waves crash into the sand and then recede back into the ocean. It was a perfect way to end a perfect weekend.
__________________________________


Yesterday we picked up Meredith from the airport. She and many of our other friends are here in Sac to take the bar exam. A host of them came over last night for dinner, good ol’ conversation, and, of course, Cranium! We had fun and much laughter. I was impressed that everyone was so jovial, considering the fact that they are bar candidates this week.

Just one year ago, Kevin and I were in the shoes of these dear friends . . . stressin’ out about the bar exam. Amazing. There are many wonderful memories I have about that whole experience . . . and many other memories I don’t care to rehash.

But, anyway, I am VERY glad that my good friend, Merf, is here. We are planning on having a jolly good time this week, despite that incidental, pesty little thing, called the "bar exam." Blah.

No comments: