Friday, February 20, 2004

Revolution

I’ve decided I’d like to go back to the Revolutionary time period in this country when the churches were willing to take a stand on the moral and political issues of the day. When the churches were catalysts of thought rather than impotent, little, lukewarm wusses.

Churches who are willing to speak out on political issues are practically nonexistent. Have you noticed? It’s because they don’t want to alienate people. It’s more important to many modern pastors for them to fill up their sanctuary every Sunday than to speak the truth. Because, heaven forbid, someone might be offended. Honestly, the gospel itself is offensive to people who are unsaved. It tells people that they are sinful and incapable of good apart from Christ. How uncool is that?

Recently I learned of one church in the Bay Area who gave up its tax exempt status so it could be more proactive politically and actually endorse candidates. Heaven bless them.

I realize that many pastors have really tough jobs. I’ve never been a pastor. And, much to Kevin’s relief, I do not ever plan on being one. But when pastors don’t take a stand, their parishioners won’t. I’ve heard it said that talk radio has replaced the jobs of pastors. People used to form their opinions on policy based on what they heard from the pulpit. Since they don’t get political guidance from their pastors anymore, they turn to the radio.

I am so frustrated by Christians who are not grounded in the word of God and willing to take a stand on issues like homosexuality and abortion. Christians have bought into the "tolerance" psychobabble - hook, line and sinker. (By the way, I think the moment a person brings up "tolerance" that signifies that they are probably an intolerant, hateful, prejudiced person. It means that their views have to be tolerated, and yours have to be disregarded.) Last night, I spoke up on the issue of homosexuality at our bible study and stated that the bible condemns it. One woman looked at me and said, "But we have to love people." Yeah, we do. I didn’t say anything about not loving. I just said that the bible says it’s wrong. She then said that, last time we talked about the issue of homosexuality, her husband didn’t want to come back to bible study because he thought this issue was divisive. At that instant I felt the blood rush to my face. I was so outraged, I started shaking in my seat. With much conviction, I replied, "The issue may be controversial but the bible is controversial. If I can’t talk about the issue of homosexuality with my brothers and sisters in Christ, where else can I talk about it?!" Yes, "love" should be the overarching principle of every Christian’s life. I firmly believe that. But truth is SO important. God is Truth. And if we truly love people, we will want them to find truth and know it.

We will never win the fight against abortion and for traditional marriage until the church wakes up.

No comments: