Thursday, February 19, 2004

The Problem of Cutting Hair

I am Kevin’s barber. Don’t scrutinize his hair too carefully because it ain’t perfect. But, at least I try. Someday I would love to branch out and cut other people’s hair. When I cut hair, it’s a rather cathartic and relaxing activity for me. (Amy’s monthly therapy!) I also consider it an art. (Hair art. Ha! I should try to get an NEA grant.) I like challenging myself to make every haircut better than the one before.

The problem is . . . I have several really bad habits when I cut Kevin’s hair. If ever I wanted to branch out and take other clientele, I might have difficulty with the bad habits I’ve formed. For instance, whenever I cut the sides and front of his hair, I can’t do it without sitting in his lap. (Other people might find this an invasion of their personal space.) I also sometimes can’t manage holding the comb and the scissors at the same time and put the comb in my mouth. (I don’t think I trust other people’s hair germs.) Another bad habit I have: every 4th or 5th time I cut his hair, I inevitably end up cutting part of my finger. Last night, for instance, I sliced it pretty good. Now I have a U-shaped wound on the knuckle of my left middle finger. Blood and little hairs mixed together are not a pretty sight.

So, I guess I won’t be going into the barber shop business any time soon. Sigh.

No comments: