Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Of Sugar and Lifelong Love

Mmmmm. I was just preparing my daily "double chocolate meltdown" hot chocolate by Nestle. That’s when I turned over the package and discovered a recipe for "cocoa cola floats." My appetite abruptly withered at the very thought. And I’m the sugar queen.
___________________________

Why is everyone advertising for e-harmony? All my favorite radio talk show hosts are advertising for it. If I wasn’t married already, maybe I’d try it just to see what would happen. If Dr. Laura recommends it, well then! (Of course, I’m sure she’s being handily paid for her endorsement.) Anyway, several years ago, just out of sheer curiosity (honestly, being married was the furthest thing from my mind at the time!), I registered with christiancourtship.com. I think I did it because I wanted to read all of the portfolios on their database - and you have to register in order to do that! With the ultra-conservative christiancourtship.com, you actually have to be the FATHER of the young person desiring (or maybe not desiring) courtship. I pretended I was my dad (am I bad or what?) and registered myself. (Hey, I’m my daddy’s girl. That’s what he gets for raising me the way he did.) And I got two inquiries within one week! One guy’s portfolio said that he didn’t believe women should work outside the home. (I guess he wouldn’t like me too well, then.) The other guy’s first e-mail said: "I am black. Does race matter to you?" I swear, cross my heart, that I would totally have married Kevin if he were African-American. Race really isn’t an issue for me. Kevin would still be the incredible man that he is regardless of the color of his skin, his height, his shoe size, etc. :-) I just thought that "Alfred" from North Carolina’s e-mail was very interesting. Maybe he’d gone through the process with a girl somewhere else and his heart was broken in the end over the race issue. You never know!

No comments: