Thursday, November 20, 2003

The Way It Is

Have you ever been driving on the road when you realize you don’t remember certain portions of your trip? Well, I must say, that happens to me now and then. Yesterday, for instance. I got into my car and started driving home. A few minutes later I noticed I was entering the freeway but didn’t remember exiting the parking lot or driving the several miles to the freeway entrance. Kevin tells me all the time, "You scare me."

My poor father is the one who taught me how to drive. (He also taught my two spacey sisters how to drive.) But don’t let this cloud your view of my dad. I don’t think the father should bear the sins of the children. Especially since he’s the one with the flawless driving record. But, actually, speaking of which, I now have a flawless driving record too! This fact will simultaneously amaze and horrify my friends out there who know of the "past life and times of Amy Williams." Times when I did things like spin around on the interstate while trying to find a muffin that fell under my seat. And when I totaled two cars in the period of one month. (My airbag went off both times, by the way. It was an interesting experience but I don't recommend you try it . . . especially not twice.) Sad for my sisters, they inherited the car that I learned how to drive in. And, I definitely left my mark on the legendary vehicle! There was a huge gouge in the car on the driver's side and the passenger's side rear view mirror was no longer attached.

My first car accident happened about two hours after I got my learner’s permit. It was a "bump" in a parking lot. Fortunately, there was no injury to person or vehicle. My second accident happened on the freeway during rush hour. My dad was riding with me in the passenger’s seat. I was driving this beat-up Chevy Celebrity and rear-ended a guy in a BMW. Go figure! We pulled over to the side of the freeway. I looked helplessly at my dad. He said, "I’m staying in the car. You go talk to him. You’re the one who hit him - you need to deal with it." Although I didn’t have too many warm, fuzzy feelings toward my dad at that moment, I now realize that was one of the best things he did, at the time, to help me grow up!

So, anyway, back to my point: I now am happy to report that I have a clean driving record (no scuffles in over three years). Not that people like me should have a clean record - for a long, long, long, long time. But, hey, that’s the way it is.
______________________________________

Last night we got an interesting voice mail. This lady from a temp job I worked at when we first arrived in Sacramento called and asked if I could come work for them again next week - because I did such a great job last time. Upon hearing the message, I couldn’t control myself and laughed out loud, "Ha! The only thing I did for them was sit at a desk and smile." Seriously. It’s almost as if cheerfulness in temp employees is a rare commodity.
______________________________________

Kevin hotly disputes the allegations I made that Jackson had a French manicure. However, there’s no denying it. I’ve got the proof. ;)
______________________________________

Tonight we’re going to an "early" Thanksgiving dinner with all our bible study friends. I’m ALL ABOUT celebrating holidays as long as possible. :D So, I’d better go. Need to make a pie.

No comments: