Monday, November 10, 2003

Good Times

Crazy weekend! It consisted of driving a 15-passenger van full of teenagers (mostly girls) to Ventura county so they could work in a campaign. Lots of giggling, tears, shrieking, incessant cell phone rings, and, of course, rock and roll!

Saturday we went to hear Elvis perform at an open house at my dad’s work. I love a good excuse to scream and jump. Melissa and I stood in line under the warm sun for thirty minutes so we could get our faces painted. When we finally got up there, the clown asked Melissa what she wanted. She wanted a pony on one cheek and a rainbow on the other cheek. The clown looked hot and tired and she said the same exact thing to every kid, which I memorized after the third kid: “What would you like?” (kid submits his/her request) “I think I can do that.” Then she would paint the face and then hold a mirror up for the kid to see the art. “Do you like it?” (the kids nods and the clown smiles) “I like it too.” In the end, I decided not to have my face done because I felt sorry for the hot, tired clown. Oh well, maybe next time.

We had a grand old time with my family. It was awesome because everyone was there – all the kids together. Christy, Betsy and dad all crack us up constantly with their witticisms. Melissa says the darn cutest things. (I brought a pie down and proudly displayed it to Melissa. She took one look at it and said, “It looks burnt.” Another time I asked her if she was going to do something for me. She didn’t answer me. “Well, are you, Melissa?” She paused, a smile crept on her face, and then she said, “Yes, I’m Melissa.” Silly girl.) Anyway, it was a jolly time. We were tired when we got home late on Sunday, but people, experiences, and laughter, are all much better than momentary weariness. In the end, you will forget how tired you were and only have memories of the good times. That’s my philosophy anyway.

On the way back to Sacramento, we drove through numerous charred and blackened mountains. It was incredible to see the effects of the fires down there. Very tragic.

No comments: