Wednesday, November 19, 2003

The Rules of Ending Bad Conversation

Here’s something that should seem obvious: when you want to quit a conversation with someone, shut-up yourself and don’t ask more questions or make sympathetic, affirming comments!! Today I talked to a small-town, mountain-man columnist who liked very much to monologue about himself and his ever-wonderful work. (He’s the most influential columnist in his county, he told me. He has the ability to destroy any local politician that crosses him, he told me. He was quoted on Rush the other day, he told me. He told me a LOT more too, by the way.) Despite the fact that I really did want to get off the phone with him and get on with my life, I broke the basic rules of successfully ending a bad conversation. What could have been a five minute conversation lasted 40! I think I have a disease that makes me ask questions.

No comments: