Friday, November 21, 2003

Joviality

Here is my random rendition of the night previous, celebrating Thanksgiving with friends from our young marrieds bible study.

Overheard Kevin talking with someone about how, if it’s 70 degrees below zero, and you spit in the air, your spit will make a cracking sound. (That must have been the most bizarre thing these Californians have ever heard.)

Us wives were eating dinner in the living room, having a good time, laughing about something. That’s when one of the husbands (another guy named Kevin) entered the room and said, "I thought I’d join you so I could see what women talk about." His wife, Christy, said, "We talk about our husbands!" [Snickering ensued.] Kendra (who is very cute and always brings up random things) brought up the topic of non-stick cookware. Kevin rolled his eyes. Apparently Kendra was concerned because she saw on TV that Teflon is very toxic and will kill a bird if it’s in the room when you cook. Oh my!

After dinner, we played ping-pong, and then some Catch Phrase. I always thought I was a competitive person. But I think I’m a WALL FLOWER compared to some of these people. It was a battle of the sexes, of course. Whenever the timer would buzz on the guys, they would always get so animated and dispute everything. One time, during a spat, Kevin was on the girls’ side. This guy named Ryan shouted out, "We don’t trust you because you’re a LAWYER." Then Paul piped up and said, "No, I agree with Kevin." Ryan retorted back, "We don’t trust you either because you’re a cop, and you KNOW lawyers!" These people just make me laugh. They really do. At one point, someone started throwing Skittles. It was all just very funny.
____________________________________

Got home at about 10:30. That is when we remembered that our Godfather movies were due at midnight. We thought we’d hurry through the last part of the last movie and then take it back. After all, we had to get every penny’s worth! And, in spite of the fact that I was very unimpressed with the whole saga, I HAD to see how it would end. Maybe, I thought, the movie would redeem itself.

We finished watching it at 11:55 on the dot. I should never have watched the ending. I would have had a (slightly) better impression of the movie had I not seen the ending. Basically, everyone central to the plot . . . died. There wasn’t any resolution. The last scene is Michael (the main guy) having a heart attack and falling from his chair, while sitting alone outside his house in Sicily. It gave the impression that he was a lonely, old, unhappy, unfulfilled man when he died. It was very unsettling. I’m sure the movie had more "points" to make - but they were all lost on me.

Kevin offered to return the movie so I could go to bed. I thought, however, that I would be a good, supportive wife, and went with him. We pulled into the movie store parking lot at 12:03. It was very interesting to discover that video store employees actually work at midnight to document videos returned by the deadline. Just keep that in mind in case you ever are tempted to fudge the deadline: there will be consequences for your deeds. ;-) I don’t think they’ll penalize us for the three minutes, though.

No comments: