Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Preparations

The place is abuzz because tonight Megan returns from her year-long stint in China. Last time we saw her Meredith was a newborn!

The house is being scrubbed and organized – so she has a place to stay and store her stuff. The phone has been ringing with people asking when they should arrive at the airport – a group of us will be there to welcome her back. [Now that I think about it, we should make a big banner and wave American flags. That would be fun! I’ll have to suggest that …]

After we meet Megan at the airport, we’ll all go straight to Don Pablo’s Mexican restaurant. This was her request. I hear that China is not the best destination for fine Mexican cuisine. (Neither is North Dakota, by the way.)

In order to be ready for the Big Night, Grandma Cazzell wanted her hair trimmed.

I guess, because Kevin has been my customer for the past four years, I’m a sought-after amateur hairstylist. [Funny, though, I always thought my next customer would be Meredith, not grandma.]

So, responding to the call, a short while ago I found myself standing in grandma’s kitchen, her hair sopping wet, and me with scissors in my hands.

“Blunt cut, no layers,” said grandma. “I don’t like it when the lady at the salon gives me layers.”

“Do you want a quarter inch off? A half inch? Or what?” I asked.

“I don’t know about them inches stuff, I just want a blunt cut. And make sure it’s shorter by my ears. And just cut off what you think is frizzy and needs it.”

With that crystal-clear information, I began snipping away.

I hope she liked it. But, in any event, I’m sure Megan will think she’s beautiful at the airport. That’s what matters, right?

8 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

Good for you for hair-cutting! We tried a salon for DOB's hair for awhile, but we couldn't afford him going to the 19-dollar place, and the 12-dollar places did a worse job than I did. I'm gradually improving; pretty soon I'll be able to give a 19-dollar haircut. At least on him.

Now if D1 would just grow enough hair for me to cut!

Janice Phillips said...

Woohoo! Welcome home, Megan!!

Janice Phillips said...

And airport reunions are so incredibly fun and exciting and downright romantic. Sometimes I like just watching other people meet up with their party and wondering about who they are and why they were apart and where they're coming from/going to.

Anyway, yes, wave the flags and cheer the cheers and take lots of pics!

JoMama said...

You're right J R Phillips! I can think of nothing more "downright romantic" than Kevin welcoming his sister home at the airport!

Amy K said...

Janice, I agree - except that now they don't let you go to the gate unless you have a boarding pass! Sigh ... Those were the REALLY good ol' days.

Janice Phillips said...

I meant romance in the context of "a mysterious or fascinating quality or appeal, as of something adventurous, heroic, or strangely beautiful." Although, there's nothing strange about a brother (or two) welcoming a sister home with lots of love.

One of my favorite things to do is to welcome people home at the international customs area at Dulles...that huge wall of people, searching for the familiar faces, the hugs and tears and laughter, ah yes. And dang it, the silly terrorists have robbed us of our at-the-gate greetings. Sigh is right.

JoMama said...

Sumpin' rong wit homescrewlers?

Janice Phillips said...

Merriam Webster? Maybe in another life. These days its all about dictionary.com. Although it used to all about oed.com but then they started charging for their knowledge.