Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Feminist Says Child Rearing not Worthy of Time and Talents of Intelligent Humans

Today I read an interesting article about statements by Linda Hirshman on feminism and child-rearing. Take a moment to read it if you have time!

This is why I’m appalled by extreme feminism – it’s not about what is good for women, or what women want, it’s about an extremist agenda to “reconstruct” the family. Most mothers, in my experience – even the ones who are in the work force – would rather stay home with their children.

As the article says – “Some of the women [Ms. Hirshman] interviewed confirmed her worst fears: they liked being mothers.”

Also, it’s interesting to think about the flaws in Hirshman’s reasoning – if all “intelligent” people are supposed to be in the work force, that means that Ms. Hirshman is suggesting that the next generation should be raised by stupid people.

This is an odd opinion since, modernly, at least in California, there is a huge push for preschool workers to have higher education.

So, I guess that babies and toddlers should be raised by stupid people for the first several years and then, when they are three or four-years-old, they should be suddenly thrown into an environment with the really smart ones!

.....

Love is shown in many ways. One major way it is shown is by investing time.

Looking back at my childhood – where my mother was there for me everyday, making me meals and snacks, working near me when I played, comforting me when I was hurt or upset – I wouldn’t trade that childhood for anything.

I want to give Meredith, and any other children that should come, the gift of my time. I want to give my children the same experience I had growing up – a mother who is there for them every day.

I have a law degree – I don’t tell many people this but I ranked first in my graduating class, I passed the California bar exam on my first attempt. I don’t think I’m the brightest person but don’t think I’m totally stupid either.

At the same time, I willingly gave up my career, working with really smart people in the field of public policy, to stay home and pour my life into my child. I stay home because I want to - not because I have to.

Someday maybe I’ll pick up a full-time career again – after my children are successfully raised – but, for the time being, my job is to teach, guide, cherish, and laugh with my baby while she’s young. ‘Cuz I know she’ll only be young for a short time.

Several years ago I worked temporarily in the legal department of a utilities company. There was one young woman, a mother and an attorney, who always seemed particularly stressed out. She had pictures on her desk of very young, cute, adorable children. She always came in to the office early and left later than me. I always wondered who was with her kids all day. She never seemed very happy. I wondered if working that many hours was really what she wanted for her life or if she felt like she was pressured into it.

“Wow, you’ve had a remarkable career,” is something, yes, that would be nice to hear at the end of my life. But, if I had to choose, I would much rather chuck the career and know that I’d spent countless hours loving on my kids.

In the end, I think that will make the most difference in this world anyway.

No one can raise my child as well as I can because no one loves her like I do.

I am not replaceable in Meredith’s life. Please don’t insult me, Ms. Hirshman, by telling me that any daycare worker (or even a grandmother, and both of Meredith’s grandmothers are wonderful people) can replace me as her primary caretaker.

I am her Mother. God gave me a tremendous responsibility to raise her. And I am willing to take on that responsibility – and all the day-to-day nitty gritty involved in that responsibility – no matter what the sacrifices.

8 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

I love your line about the next generation being raised by stupid people!

An interesting book on child development I was reading recently pointed out that upper middle class children are often raised by people from the same socioeconomic and educational background as poor children, because that's the labor pool for child care. The kids don't get the intellectual stimulation that their own mothers would instinctively provide, but they still have their mother's expectations for achievement. Not to be snobbish, but I want something better for my kids.

Catherine said...

I read Ms. Hirshman's articles, and at first I was insulted. Upon further reflection, I found it funny that she was so shocked and amazed to have gotten push-back after suggesting that all full-time moms are idiots leading meaningless lives (an unbelievable assertion that she apparently still believes). In her recent Washington Post article, Ms. Hirshman also sounds the alarm that many full-time moms are Christians! Horrors! In that article Ms. Hirshman likened herself to Socrates and I think she was serious - hubris is a funny thing that way...

I think Meredith will be very blessed to have such an intelligent and, perhaps more importantly, loving and godly, mother raising her up in the way she should go. It's a wonderful calling!

Alaina said...

It's been interesting as I've met so many different women to see the seeming return of stay-at-home moms. I (of course!) think it's great and I think must reflect a desire to have something they either lacked or had and appreciated. I so appreciate the church we are in which is supportive and encouraging of moms staying home in a sociey that does seem to push for a quick return to the work force.

I truly cannot think of a better career than being a mom - it's a calling I've looked forward to my whole life. I can't wait to get that part of my life started (not too long now!) That said, many people have asked if I will return to work and my answer is that's the plan but not at my current number of hours. I do want to keep my skills fresh and continue the relationship God has given me with patients. My job is part of what I believe God has called me to. I'm so grateful it can be flexible and especially that I can work much just a little! I'm thankful for my husband & mom encouraging me to stay in my profession and making it possible for me to work very part time.

Being a mother is such a wonderful calling. I'm so glad my parents (& in-laws) took that responsibility so seriously. I pray that I can be as dedicated, loving, and Godly a mom as my mom was and is!

Anonymous said...

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danielle said...

You can read an excellent response to this article here:

http://solofemininity.blogs.com/posts/2006/06/the_blog_battle.html

I think her response was excellent. Ms. Hirshman's article was very sad, really.

Janice Phillips said...

I was just about to send you the same link that Danielle sent you. And well, said, Amy, not that I doubted your priorities. ;-)

So when are you going to get your RSS feed up and running?

Rachelle said...

To me the saddest part of Ms. Hirschman's thought is that a mother can think her own child is not worth her sacrifice. Should a woman such as this be surprised when her children hate her in their teen years, and stick her away in a facility and never visit when she is old? Motherhood is all about sacrifices. I'm relatively grateful to be out of the work force, but staying home with my child all day when his current interest is throwing all objects down the stairs is not fulfilling for me. I do it out of love. I still can't get over a college roommate's comment to me that staying home with her kids (and not working as a teacher) would be a waste of her talents. Sad. I simply have more hope and pride in my child(ren) than that.

the Joneses said...

It's hard to take this lady seriously (although she seems to be in deadly earnest). She's neither logical nor true to life. I know raising children isn't considered a skilled and productive career; but to rage that women ought to leave their children, and are somehow failing themselves if they *like* being mothers, steps over the line to parody. I think she's standing way out in left field, shouting loudly enough to be heard.

-- SJ