Monday, June 12, 2006

Highlights

Ooooops. Guess who’s been a delinquent blogger lately? I must confess that I did try sometime mid-last week but blogger was down. :-/

Here are some of the highlights of our life this past week.

- I got a free Starbucks’ coffee because I’m related to Colin. (I just knew living in Indiana would have its benefits!) When I pulled up to the drive-thru to pay, Colin playfully popped his head out from behind the patio in front of the store where he was studying. I was surprised to see him and laughed out loud. When the cashier raised her eyebrows I told her that Colin is my brother-in-law. She said, “Oh, well, if you’re related to him, it’s on the house.” I’m sure I won’t be able to abuse this privilege. But, needless to say, it made my day!

- Meredith learned how to say “E.T.” Never in my wildest dreams did I think that one of my daughter’s first words would be E.T. And I blame it entirely on Kevin. Every time Meredith randomly points her finger into the air (which is frequently), he takes his finger and touches hers and says, “E.T. phone home.” Now she points her finger, smiles, and says, “E.T.” Sheesh.

- Our pastor’s wife gave me a very lovely welcome-to-the-church Tea Party, comprised of scones and authentic British tea. She’s lived in Scotland for the past few years – so, she knows how to do it right.

- I spent a fun afternoon with Alaina, helping to organize her nursery – they’re leaving for Kazakhstan soon to adopt two children. We're so glad we can be a part of this exciting time in their life!

- Kevin has started studying already! I don’t think I’m ready yet to be the wife of a student … but I’d better hurry and get ready! He’s participating in a write-in competition to be on law review and the deadline is Monday. He’s been complaining how stupid he thinks the question is and how the cases and statues he was given don’t even support what he’s supposed to write about. So (need I say it?) there are motivation issues.

- I went major garage sale shopping on Saturday. You know you’re a “serious” garage saler when you don’t even get a shower before leaving the house and your pockets are filled with quarters and one dollar bills.

- On Saturday we also went to a Home-A-Rama. I had never been to one of these before and it was awesome! I love interior design so I spent the entire time in awe. The homes were amazing. It was fun to see what the new trends are. One of the homes had a half-court basketball gym in the basement! Now, wouldn’t that be cool? It’s fun to dream!

- We went out twice for house hunting purposes (not counting the Home-A-Rama, of course). We’re making progress but haven’t yet decided exactly what we’re going to do. The house we’re leaning toward purchasing most likely has a flooring issue (i.e, the floor is not completely level). Kevin’s dad is a civil engineer and he is optimistic we can fix it. We’ll see …

6 comments:

the Joneses said...

"Half quart basketball gym"

So, that would be pint-sized? :)

--DJ

Micah said...

Great update! Buying a house is so much fun, and decorating it is even more fun!! That's too cute about Meredith and E.T. Kathryn points at everything too, but I hadn't linked the whole E.T. thing... pretty funny!

Amy K said...

Er, um, "court."

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

The E.T story was so cute. I can't believe how vocal Meredith was when we saw her recently! We're still trying to figure out if some of the sounds Nora is making are associated with anything (other than momma and dada). I could have sworn she said "nana" today for banana. We'll see :)

Chris and Amber said...

Meredith saying, ET, how cute!! Can't wait to see that! I told Chris, he likes ET a lot and he thought it was cute. =)

Queen of Carrots said...

Level floors are boring! Especially if you don't have room for a basketball gym.