Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Honda Requiem

I didn’t think it possible but Kevin’s car has died. Aren’t Hondas supposed to live forever?

“I can’t believe I paid for all that extra gas to tow my Honda from California, and now it has died,” said Kevin, ruefully.

It may seem silly but, aside from the practical reasons to be sad about the death of Kevin’s car, we are sad for sentimental reasons as well.

I can’t help but think about all the memories …

We’ve experienced a lot of life – a lot of good times – alongside that little car. It’s the car Kevin had in his bachelor days, when we met. It’s the car we took on our first date. Our honeymoon. All of our early-married travels (Maine to San Francisco). Our contemplative move to California. It’s the car we brought Meredith home from the hospital in.

It’s been a good car for us. Like the mechanic said – “I think you’ve got your money’s worth out of this car.”

The hard part for me right now is I won’t even get to say goodbye. (Doesn’t that sound stupid – it’s not a person, just a car.) It will be towed to the junk yard today and will be gone forever.

Yes, I am sad.

6 comments:

the Joneses said...

I completely sympathize. I still think fondly of the battered old van we had for a year (given to us) that finally broke my housebound winter and let me see the world with two very small children. I felt like I should apologize when we upgraded to our Windstar.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janice Phillips said...

I still miss my huge, ugly, gas-guzzling, teen-age pride reducing, image destroying, speed limit breaking Mercury Montego, complete with the duck-tape on the back window (thanks, dad), power windows, and (surprisingly enough) a really good radio. I think I miss it most when I'm driving down Interstate 5 and my Corolla doesn't want to go 85 miles an hour very gracefully. That Montego could just float at 90!

Angel said...

I totally understand, Amy. When we bought our RAV-4, we went to the dealership not actually planning to purchase a car that day. Of course Dan got talked into making a "deal" and the salesman took my adorable, snazzy, fun little hot rod Celica away forever and ever . . . *sniffle* I still haven't gotten over it. Man, that was a great car. :)

"Nick" said...

The loss of a car is always hard. A car is there for you, in the good times, in the bad times... you can share your wildest hopes and dreams, or your disappointments with it, and it just listens. Not that cars are always nice to you. I had one car that was very tempermental. You could never shout at it, or it would get offended and not start, or it would start to buck or sputter, or something. But it was Italian, so I guess that comes with the territory...:)

Anonymous said...

Tell Kevin that it's no coincidence that his car broke down after bringing it all the way from CA. My luck has been that I have a car "die" after filling up the tank... or not long after a repair has been made to a different part of the vehicle. Yep... It's almost like it wants you to be more sorry than you already are. (sigh) I'm sorry, I feel your pain... but not in a WJC way.