Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Da Vinci Discussion


Last night a group from our church went to see the Da Vinci Code for the purpose of discussing it afterwards.

We talked about why it is a story that is so appealing to a vast number of individuals. It’s a plot that allures the rebel in people who like to go against the establishment. It’s a plot that entices conspiracy theorists. And it’s a plot that attracts people who are looking for a way to appease their consciences by jiving Jesus with unencumbered sexuality and extreme feminism.

It was also pointed out last night how there were efforts by Dan Brown to intentionally mislead people – showing he is committed more to his agenda than to uncovering truth. For instance, Brown used a quote by Da Vinci to infer that large groups of people are being led astray and are fools for believing in the incarnation. In reality, the Da Vinci quote was concerning the subject of alchemy.

We talked about how unbelievable the movie is. You would think that, unless you’re very naïve and believe every whim you hear, or you’re already looking for a reason to not believe in Christ’s claims, it would be unfathomable to take the Da Vinci Code as anything more than a fantasy.

I was particularly bothered by how Christianity – especially when you compare it to other world religions – was portrayed as anti-woman when the Bible specifically equates men and women as joint-heirs with God.

Honestly, I really didn’t enjoy the movie at all. As is the general consensus, the acting was bad and the plot was hokey. There wasn’t even any redeeming value as far as sheer entertainment is concerned.

The most significant reason I wasn’t able to enjoy it, however, was because my spirit was troubled the entire time I watched it. It was a feeling akin to the times when I’ve seen a movie with spiritism or ouija boards, etc. Things like that bother me more than anything else because they’re dark and satanic.

The Da Vinci Code was specifically designed to mock and discount the most important Truth ever known to mankind. My spirit was affected by that last night. It was something I couldn’t escape.

4 comments:

JoMama said...

Yeah, and Tom Hanks had really bad hair.

Anonymous said...

I was upset too...until I remembered that I bought the book in the "fiction" section...

Anonymous said...

The movie was lame. It was so busy trying to cover the conspiracy theory it forgot it was supposed to be a murder mystery, scavenger hunt, action film. I confess, I haven't seen it, but those who have seen it, but not read the book told me it made no sense. Those who have seen it and read the book said the same. Having only the read the book I think I'll skip the film entirely.

Anonymous said...

I heard the author of Babywise funded the movie- how do you feel following his principals when he funded a movie you disaprove of? The movie seems to be along the lines of brainwashing the public- just as the book Babywise does.