Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What will you do with your obstacles?

There are two kinds of people in this life – those who choose to live with their obstacles (either because they are lazy or fearful) and those who choose to work hard to overcome their obstacles because they want a better life. Obviously we all have limitations; but there are very few limitations in life that cannot be overcome by hard work and determination. I know this from personal experience and also from the experiences of others.

What I don’t understand are people who lose their vision for what they want in life because life becomes hard. These people resign themselves to an undesirable fate because they are unwilling to think outside the box, face challenges, and do things that may not be very “comfortable” for a few years or, heck, maybe a lot of years.

Life is difficult. In order to get the best of life, you will have to sacrifice. It’s something called “deferred gratification.” You do something that may be a lot harder in the short-term because you know it will be worth it in the end. You forgo the cheesecake in order to have that waistline you want. You work hard to pass the tests in order to get a degree and have a better job. You go without a boyfriend for a while in order to wait for the right guy to marry. You treat your husband properly, regardless of how you feel toward him at the moment, in order to have a good marriage. You make lifestyle choices and sacrifices in order to have children, a gift from the Lord. The list could go on and on …

It’s often very difficult to get what you ultimately want from life. But the longer I live the more I understand that the things in life that are the most precious and the most rewarding are the things that you have to sacrifice the most for.

Why would you be satisfied with your mediocre life, just because it’s your comfort zone, when you could taste something better if only you would allow yourself to be uncomfortable for a time? Why are you content to live in the valley when you could know the mystery of the hills (if only you would sell your goods, strap on your hiking boots, and perspire a little)?

Don’t allow problems to define your life. Take your problems, overcome them, and someday you will look back with fulfillment and reward, knowing that you are a better person because you overcame your problems.

Life is too short to spend it without realizing your dreams.

[These are some thoughts I have after a particular conversation I had this past weekend. I’m amazed at how many people “settle” in the game of life. ALL of us will have obstacles and difficulties in this life. It’s what we do with those obstacles that define our character and how we will live. My philosophy is that, in order to live well and have no regrets, we must overcome obstacles vs. letting the obstacles shape our path and our lives.]

5 comments:

Danielle said...

I agree, basically, with what you said here. In general those who work hard at something are rewarded, even if the work is hard. God rewards those who are faithful and working hard reaps benefits.

But I do think we have to realize everyone has different struggles and not look down self-righteously at those who we view as "settling." Some people may think being a stay-at-home mom is settling or a "waste" even if that's the mom's choice. We have to be careful not to impose our own idea of what makes a life a success. We also have to realize sometimes some dreams just can't be realized no matter what because, in fact, we're not in complete control of the universe. What do you tell someone who HAS waited, and waited, and waited without a boyfriend but still hasn't found the right guy and no one's in sight? "Overcome your obstacle?" What about the woman who's treated her husband properly her whole life even when she hasn't felt like it but her marriage hasn't turned out for good? If our whole life was really up to us completely, and things don't work out, it would leave us a bitter, disheartened people. Ultimately, there is only so much we can do in our own strength.

Again, I think I understand your point. I too can grow frustrated with people who seem unable to "get their life together" for no good reason, but some reasons may be unseen. Some problems may not be overcome in this world. But thankfully, we as Christians don't have to place our hope for complete satisfaction in this life. We need to remind people who may be running out of strength to overcome their obstacles where true strength comes from . . . and be willing to run beside them.

Amy K said...

Danielle - thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you've said, too. I'm sure my post did come off as very self-righteous and I'm sorry for that because I really don't mean to be that way! I know that different people want different things in life - thus, everyone's definition of "success" is going to be unique to them.

This post was mainly prompted by one situation where I feel that a dream has been lost and compromises have been made. And it's frustrating.

There's a balance to everything and I know I often tend to be out-of-balance when I get emotional. :-P

Danielle said...

Well I hope in the situation you're mentioning the dream will be rediscovered! By the way, I'm a friend of Sara's and have enjoyed reading your blog for a few months now!

the Joneses said...

I laughed a lot through your post, Amy. Not that your opinions were laughable, but simply that it was like the essence of Type-A personality in blog form. :)

It's a good reminder for people like me not to "settle." I have some dreams (although, mind you, I've NEVER been able to make a list of life goals; I just don't think like that). I think I pursue them at a much slower pace than others... and, of course, "the others" are the ones who see their dreams realized long before mine are. But that's okay; I'm happy with my pace.

As Danielle pointed out, sometimes God intervenes. Sometimes your obstacles aren't challenges to be overcome, but roadblocks to send you in another direction. I guess your point then would be to pursue your new direction with energy.

(By the way, Danielle should know all about dreams and goals. I once wrote down a list of Danielle's ambitions, which included things like "a missionary working with orphans" and "professional singer.")

-- SJ

Danielle said...

So far neither have materialized :) Despite that, I'm still a Type-A personality who loves to make lists and accomplish 90 things a day and I've had to learn through interacting with my siblings, who aren't Type-A at all, that I often do more harm by "pushing" them then by kind encouragement. I always rationalize it by thinking, "but I want what's best for them, can't they see it?" But I end up hurting them and putting them down indirectly. That's my little bit of life experience!