Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Rain and A New Scale

On days like yesterday I am once again reminded what a crazy person I am. It rained for the first time here since April and I stood out on the back patio for nearly ten minutes with a huge smile on my face while I let the rain completely soak my clothes and hair. It was a glorious moment. It truly was.

There’s a Frank Sinatra song that goes “she hates California, it’s cold and it’s damp …” I never got that song. It’s stumped me for years.

One of the things I loathe about California is that it never rains in the summer. But, then again, one of the things I love about California is that it never rains in the summer. Basically – I’m both crazy and confused.

Oh, and I must tell you … yesterday we also purchased our first scale. The Koons household now joins the rest of America and owns a weight-watching device. We are starting to realize (gasp!) that, as we reach our late twenties, our metabolism is beginning to wane and fade. And this realization has stricken us with a much deeper sense of responsibility as of late. Thus … the scale.

It’s kinda sad once you get to that point in life when you realize you’ll never be able to take an Oreo cookie for granted ever again. I remember those careless days of youth when I was able to binge without any consequences. Well, I think those days are finally past. And maybe that’s a good thing. Leading a disciplined life is always a good thing … probably.

That’s what I’m telling myself, anyway.

3 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, but scales can be so deceitful! My philosophy is that as long as you look nice, that's all that matters. Besides, since muscle weighs more than fat, you can actually gain weight and still become a healthier person.

Anonymous said...

I hope Kevinicus doesn't break the scale since he's such a fatty.

Kevin said...

Rose:

The scale also measures your body fat percentage, so we will know how much weight is attributable to muscle vs. fat.