Thursday, September 08, 2005

Decisions, Decisions

The other day Kevin and I were talking about how, even in just three years of marriage, it’s become a lot easier to make decisions together. In fact, I can’t even remember the last time we disagreed with each other on something that’s really significant. We recalled a few rough-edged moments in our early marriage where we had a tough time moving forward on decisions. Like most females, I wanted to talk through issues (i.e., “think outloud” together) to find resolution, regardless of the fact that I didn’t yet know of any solution. Like most males, Kevin wanted to first think through the problem, figure out potential solutions, then discuss it when he had plausible answers to bring to the table. I remember talking on the phone with my dad during this time (not that I ever recommend taking marital issues independently to your parent) and he told me, “It’s amazing how much easier it’s gotten for your mom and I to make decisions over the years. It’s because we’ve grown together and have come to think much more alike.” At the time, that sounded like a rather nice state of being – to think just like your spouse and make decisions as “one.” Although you become “one” when you marry, that doesn’t mean you always act as one, unfortunately.

Anyway, it’s nice to see that we’ve made a little progress in our marital relationship, even though it’s still in its embryonic stages. Something that was once a near-daily issue is now something we take for granted. Isn’t it funny how life is like that sometimes? The cares of yesterday aren’t even on our minds today?

3 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Perspective is everything, especially the eternal perspective. When you think of things in that light, what matters, matters, and what doesn't, well, it just doesn't! Thanks for sharing your lesson on this and for reminding me that life is short and eternity is forever.

Danielle said...

I'm with you here! My husband and I were just talking the other day about how struggles we had with each other a year ago are no longer struggles and seem so far away.

Carrie said...

Yes, we keep hearing that one day we won't say (at least so often), "you thought WHAT?" =D We've had some pretty funny miscommunications when it comes to decision making. Always funny after the fact, of course.

Thanks for the post!