Friday, September 02, 2005

Incredible Quote

Here's an amazing quote by Harry Connick, Jr., a native of New Orleans, regarding the current chaos in his city:

"In my heart of hearts, I think one of the reasons New Orleans is New Orleans is because of the spirit of the people ... Things are very desperate here. If I grew up in conditions like that with no hope, I might have to go out and steal me a plasma TV. Maybe in some strange way this will be a motivation for the city to be more equal in some way."

Can looting ever be justified? How can anyone believe that, if you're poor, stealing a plasma TV is acceptable? What about the poor people of New Orleans who have character and integrity and wouldn't do something like that, regardless of the opportunity? Do we, honestly, have a poverty problem? Or is it a character problem?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there’s truly a poverty issue, but there’s definitely a character issue. Obviously, not everyone has the same worldview, and therefore they will not have the same standard we do: Stealing is wrong, period. No matter what type of situation you find yourself. It’s sad to see the hysteria that has come about with this hurricane. I guess guns were some of the first items stolen, and now people are turning on each other and shooting each other. One thing that I like about Harry, is that he doesn’t promote himself as someone above the “common folk.” There was compassion in his heart, and he was doing his best to pull people together. This effort is going to require that kind of team work.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on that! :)

amanda said...

I've been battling this very issue today. I know stealing is wrong and I know the President and other government officials are condemning the looting - BUT what if you need water, or baby formula, or a blanket, etc and you know the stores are closed down permanently, the goods are unrecoverable and there's no one to take your money? Further, you have no radio, no tools for outside-the-city communication, no way to know that the government is sending supplies and help?

I'd walk right in that deserted store and take what I need. (Of course I'd later send an explanatory note and a check to the store's corporate offices...but still, I'd take what I need before I'd let my children just suffer.) Guess it's a good thing I'm not in a position to face this criminal temptation.