Thursday, May 27, 2004

Yawn

Last night we took a walk and, after arriving back home, I promptly fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up Kevin was watching TV. My contacts had dried up inside my eyes and I could barely see what was on the TV screen. All I could make out was a bunch of glittery confetti falling down on a stage. If you can believe it, this is the first episode of American Idol we’ve seen - and we only caught the last five minutes of it. While my vision was still distorted, my ears picked up on the fact that there was some big hype over some Fantasia lady. Kevin turned to me and said, "I presume she won?" "Yeah, well," I said, rubbing my eyes, "It’d be a shameful waste of some good confetti if she wasn’t the winner." So, we suppose that the confetti, coupled with the fact that she was crying, is good indication that she’s the winner. "Ya know," I observed, "It’s probably healthy (?) to watch this stuff now and then so we can truly be a part of our culture." Kevin agreed - as long as we don’t get hooked on TV. "Maybe we should watch stuff like this once every other month or so," he said.

I heard this morning that almost as many Americans voted for their Idol as voted in the last presidential election. If that isn’t sad, what is?

No comments: