Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Mysterious Concoctions

I enjoy cooking. (And I like eating even better, by the way.) At first, I thought I’d hate cooking because I thought it would become a mundane drudgery. And, honestly, I’m sure it can become just that. But, I’ve decided to control my attitude, again, and have turned my "cooking life" into an adventure. I simply never know what’s going to happen next. In order to keep up all the excitement, I have to find new recipes all the time. I’ve joined several e-mail lists and get about 5-6 new recipes a week. They are starting to pile up in my cooking notebook because I don’t have time to try them all!!! Last night I made a dish called Greek Souzoukaklia. It was a beef skewer thing with raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg. After mashing everything in a bowl, before pushing it on a skewer, it looked rather like oatmeal-raisin cookie dough. Only not. The phone rang at just about the time I was contemplating the appeal of my dish. It was Kevin. "Um, honey," I said. "I hope what I’m making for dinner tonight is edible." Kevin is great. He never complains and is willing to try anything.

It turned out that this Greek-thing was actually pretty good. Very, um, different. But in a good way. ;) All of life is an adventure . . . an adventure just waiting to happen.

No comments: