Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Hot Topics

I realize I talk about current events a lot but, hey, I’m submerged in them constantly. What can I do? Today I am pondering the uproar over that woman in Arkansas who just had her 15th child in less than 16 years. (I swear they are an ATI family from their picture on the internet. I probably met them at Knoxville once.) Today, a radio talk show host called for women like that to be forced to wear Norplant. (No kidding!) At this suggestion, I was utterly offended. Maybe I’m super sensitive to this issue because, also today, I read about a proposed initiative entering circulation in California to "encourage small families." Good grief! Last time I checked, we live in the U.S.A. - not China! And where are all these N.O.W. women now who supposedly believe in and tout "reproductive rights"? What about women who want large families? What about their reproductive rights to decide to have 15 children vs. abort them and have them sucked into a sink? Family size is a personal decision every couple must make for themselves, following the dictates of their own consciences. The radio host seemed to think family size should be regulated by the government. Isn’t that scary? Big Brother government should mind its own business in this matter. That’s what I think, anyway. Soon, what area of our lives will government not intrude upon?

And, on another matter . . . today I watched, on c-span, the oral arguments before the California Supreme Court regarding the issuing of same-sex "marriage" licenses in S.F. Kev’s and my constitutional law professor, Jordan Lorence, argued the case against the validity of the licenses, along with the deputy attorney general. "Our guys" did a fantastic job, while the opposing counsel, the S.F. city attorney, didn’t make a single coherent argument. Let me tell you - if the high court rules with S.F. on this case, all my confidence in the judicial system gets flushed down the toilet. I am, even now, crossing my fingers and holding my breath for justice.

And, on a personal level, we found another really cool house we liked last night in Rocklin. It went on the market yesterday and when our realtor called this morning it had already sold. Bummer. Here we go a lovin’ and a losin’ again!

No comments: