Thursday, May 13, 2004

No place like . . .

Today I’m working from home. Ahhhh . . . There’s nothing better than writing press releases in my pajamas. Well, um, er, there is. But, for now at least, I’m havin’ fun. Isn’t the modern world so wonderful? All you need is a laptop and an internet connection and you can work from anywhere.

Ya know, this staying home stuff is kind of nice. I had a leisurely breakfast with Kevin (since I didn’t have to take a shower and rush out the door with him) and then I turned on my computer. No traffic. No panty hoes. No eating microwave popcorn for lunch ‘cuz I forgot to pack one. This is great. :)

The reason I didn’t go into the office today is ‘cuz Kevin needed the car and my boss said I could just stay home and work. Kevin is going to a Federalist Society meeting today at the Delta King. He was doing some research on local involvement in the community and discovered that the CA Young Lawyers Association board of governors is having its elections soon. It only takes three other young lawyers (under 36) to recommend you and you can be on the ballot. Turns out that there’s only one guy on the ballot right now and the deadline to submit your candidacy was yesterday. Kevin was all bummed that he didn’t find out sooner so he could run. (I was bummed too. I was already starting to get excited about making bumper stickers and yard signs, giving speeches, and kissing babies.) I think it would have been hilarious if he had put his name on the ballot and got elected without campaigning. Some people vote for candidates for the stupidest reasons – “I like the name Kevin better than the name Bob” for instance. Well, I don’t know personally if this is true. But it could be likely?? In any event, the golden opportunity is gone for the next three years.

Last night we went to the Cordells’ so Kevin could accompany Mr. (Tom) Cordell and Theresa on the piano. They are going to sing “All I Ask of You” from Phantom of the Opera this Friday at a recital. I just love the Cordells. Each one in their family is in such a different stage of life than we are (raising teenagers, being a teenager, etc.). I think it’s good for us to get out of our own little bubble-zone and be around them. They are such wonderful friends to us – and so fun too! Angela recently started working for CRI and I’ve been giving her a ride to work. Last Monday Mrs. (Chris) Cordell made dinner for us as a “thank you.” I’ve never had anyone make a homemade meal for me and deliver it to my house. And Chris is such a great cook, too! It was awesome. It was such a “random act of kindness.” Thank God for people like that. They make this world a better place. I hope I can be more like that.

No comments: