Monday, May 24, 2004

Skylarking

At this precise moment, I can feel every muscle in my body crying out in pain. "Why?" Well, because on Saturday I played Duck, Duck, Goose! with a bunch of "big kids." At one point, I started chasing this really cocky guy around the circle and was gaining on him. I became so convinced that I could tag this guy, and make him sit in the mush pot, that I felt it was worth sacrificing my face over it. I leaped into the air to take a dive at him, missed tagging him by mere inches, and landed flat on my side, skinning my knee badly and getting grass stains on my clothes. Kevin says that my competitive streak is going to be the death of me someday. We also played volley ball - my favorite game of all time. And Kevin spent a lot of time entertaining Marybeth, age four, by throwing her up in the air, giving her rides on top of his shoulders, making silly faces, teasing her, etc. During dinner, she didn’t want to eat her hamburger. Her mom was distressed because the kid, apparently, never likes to eat protein. The next thing I know, Kevin turns his charm on Marybeth and she is stuffing her hamburger down her throat at an alarming rate. Kevin has amazing powers over women. ;)

We also went to a rally to protect marriage at the capitol. A friend of mine from Eagle Forum asked me if I knew of any guys who could be in a skit. Kevin was the official photographer for CRI but I figured he could spare a few minutes to be in the skit so I volunteered his services. I told Kevin, "Don’t worry, you won’t have to say anything." Turns out that he had the second largest speaking role!! (Sorry, Kev!) But it was great because, while he was on stage, he got to chat with Alan Keyes for a while.

As we wandered around downtown before going to the rally, a homeless person asked us for money. Maybe I will be reprimanded for this when I get to heaven, but I’m always skeptical that my money will be used to buy crack if I just hand it over, scott-free, to a homeless person. (Maybe I would feel more convicted if we didn’t live in a country that already takes money from my paycheck to offer all kinds of freebies (food stamps, shelter, healthcare, etc.) to people in unfortunate situations.) After passing the beggar on the street, Kevin turned to me: "You know, once we become a cashless society, we’ll no longer have to be assaulted on the streets by beggars. Won’t that be nice." "Nooooooo," I replied "The beggars will just get smarter and start carrying swipe machines to accept credit card donations." Imagine that!

On Sunday afternoon, Kevin had his final SCSO concert of the year. During the first half of the concert I was squashed between two very "swollen" men. ("Swollen" is a PC term for FAT.) Because of this, it was hard for me to fully concentrate on the chorale and orchestra. During a moment of despair, my eyes longingly wandered over to the box seats perched just above the male vocalists. To my delight, one of them was empty! During intermission, I swapped seats and sat all by myself in Grand Tier Box No. 2! Ahhh . . . it was simply luxurious. I was able to stretch out my legs and the view was fabulous. (I could see all the strings on the instruments and practically all the whiskers on the faces!)

As I sat there, alone in my box seat, I couldn’t help thinking about President Lincoln at Ford’s Theater. How very sad. (My heart went out to him.) But, other than that, I enjoyed the remainder of the concert in perfect tranquillity and comfort.

No comments: