Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Random Conversations of Yesterday

Kevin: I’m really glad I’m not a family law attorney. I read about a lawsuit yesterday where the only dispute was whether the ex could come pick up the kids at 9 or 9:15 on Christmas morning. He insisted he could come at 9. She demanded he come no earlier than 9:15. The judge finally decided he could come at 9:05.
Amy: The only thing worse than being a family law attorney would be being married to that kind of person.
Kevin: Seriously.
[pause]
Amy: You know, I would never divorce you for financial reasons alone. Think of how much money it costs!! I mean, you work all your life to build assets and then you lose half of it plus litigation costs. I’m way too cheap for that!
Kevin: Gee, thanks. I’m glad to hear you’d be willing to endure living hell to save a few bucks.
Amy: Oh, stop that! I’m not planning on ever divorcing you any way!!!
_______________________________________________

Yesterday I ate lunch with Karen and the chairman of CRI’s board at the California Pizza Kitchen. Karen told him that she was going to treat me to a peanut butter milkshake at Johnny Rocket’s afterwards. (Do I have the coolest boss or what?) That’s when Tim, our chairman, told us that he visited the first Johnny Rocket’s in North Hollywood many years ago and, after a pleasant dining experience, talked to the owner and told him, "You know, your joint here is a great concept. You really should think about turning this into a franchise." They had a few discussions after that evening and the owner asked Tim to help him franchise. But, you see, Tim had already started two new businesses that year and didn’t have the capital readily available to start a third one. So, he told him, "Good luck!" A few years later Tim read in the paper that Johnny Rockets had gotten so big it was opening a store in Tokyo. As he told us this, he got a faraway look in his eyes and said, "Boy, I really missed the boat on that one." I swear, he’s one of the most interesting people! Just when I think that he’s just a "nice guy," I find out that he’s the mastermind behind the Johnny Rocket’s success story.
_______________________________________________

Aren’t we lucky? Kevin’s cousins, here in Sacramento, have season tickets to the Broadway series and this is the second time that they haven’t been able to go. So . . . last night we saw Thoroughly Modern Millie. It was pretty funny. There was a great scene where these two people suddenly fall in love. The music, lighting, singing, dancing and acting were all terrific and perfectly depicted the "love at first sight" feeling. It also poked fun at people in love and how they unknowingly do stupid things. The music was so great I told Kevin I want to get the CD.

At intermission, we walked outside and I commented to Kevin that "anyone can get the second half of a Broadway show for free because the attendants don’t guard the doors during intermission." Kevin got this horrified and shocked look on his face: "Amy, I can’t believe you would even think about a thing like that!"

That’s what I love about Kevin. His mind is sharp but it is also pure and good. I am the devious one in this relationship. Not that I would actually be bad, but every once in a while I might think about it - or at least nonchalantly notice an opportunity to be bad and comment on it. And, I have to admit, sometimes I like saying things for shock value alone. ;)

No comments: