Thursday, October 23, 2003

Apartment Nazi

Okay, we have this apartment manager named "Pam." We refer to her as the "Apartment Nazi" because she is such a control freak! She acts like she knows every time you come and go. When we first moved in, we got back one night at 10:30 pm, after taking a little trip to San Francisco for the day. She told us the next morning, "You guys got in late last night." Oh brother! She has NO LIFE outside managing the apartment complex. Now, just so you know, I’m not completely complaining about this. I do acknowledge that there is a good side to this. For instance, if someone was trying to burglarize the place, she would probably know about it right away! So, I suppose that we do have some greater level of security because of Pam. Anyway, as I was getting out of the car yesterday, she yelled across the parking lot to me, "You’re getting a new neighbor!" (The apartment next to ours had recently become vacant.) "Oh yeah," I said, not really caring one way or the other. She then proudly exclaimed, "Your new neighbor is ME." At this point I froze in mid stride. "Oh, cool!," I said, to be polite. "Wonderful." (Don’t you love the social mores of our day?) Pam beamed with happiness. She then proceeded to tell me the reason she is moving next door to us. Apparently from that apartment she will have a extraordinary vantage point. From the sliding glass door of the bedroom and the windows of the living room, she will be able to see "everything" that goes on. She will be able to see practically all of the apartment complex. Isn’t that great? [sigh]

No comments: