Wednesday, October 29, 2003

All in One Night

Last night we did some grocery shopping together. Kevin paid the cashier while I amused myself reading all the tabloids. Tabloids are such fun. I love the really far out ones. Honestly, Globe and Enquirer are really mild compared to this one I was reading last night. G and E only report on things like "Is Camilla Parker Dying?" and Nicole Kidman allegedly marrying some tatooed rock star (which she probably was only seen with once, or maybe never, and their images were cut and pasted together). Granted, most tabloids are on the shelves to tap into the "shock" market. But the ones that are especially shocking and outrageous take the most creativity. For instance, this one I read last night had three items on the cover: 1) Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein’s "gay wedding" and how they have now adopted a baby ape with a shaved head; 2) George W. Bush’s plans to make square dancing mandatory for all Americans; and 3) Hair from God’s beard found with conclusive DNA evidence. One of the best ones I ever saw was a few years ago during the O.J. Simpson trial and also during the time when Jon Benet Ramsey, the child beauty queen, was missing from her home in Colorado. The headline of one tabloid read, "O.J. Implicated in Jon Benet’s Murder." Ha! If there are enough inane people out there willing to pay money for one of those magazines, I think the creative people that publish them deserve their salaries.

Also last night, we discussed the "B" word (budget). Now, I realize that many young couples have this conversation. That, however, didn’t make our conversation any easier. I think we’ll get the wrinkles out soon. Actually, we’re pretty like-minded when it comes to spending. Except that I like lots of "cheap" things (hey, I admit it) and Kevin likes a few good quality things that will last forever. And I shop on impulse and he plans out exactly what he wants to buy months in advance.

Otherwise, our evening was uneventful . . . oh, except for the fact that I reached in the freezer last night and spilled a whole tray of icy water (meant to be ice cubes someday) down my front side. What a klutz. Brrrrr.

Tonight we’re going to watch a King’s game at a friend’s house - the tip off of the season. The people we are watching it with are fanatics. Should be interesting.

No comments: