Thursday, June 02, 2005

What's your ride?

This morning we witnessed a teenage guy, driving a yellow Geo Metro, attempt to race an older gentleman, driving a red Ferrari. It was actually quite amusing. I was astounded that the Geo-man even tried … maybe he was just trying to toy with the Ferrari? Or maybe he actually thought he had a chance? In any event, I thought it was highly entertaining.

This brought up a discussion on owning quarter-million-dollar automobiles. (Not that I can even fathom it.)

Kevin pondered, out loud, how much it would cost to insure a Ferrari. “That man probably pays more on his car insurance than I do on my mortgage,” he said.

My two cents was that, rather than having all your money sit in a bank, if you’re getting up in years, you might as well buy the car of your dreams. After all, think of how much time the average person spends in his car every day. He might as well enjoy every minute of it, if he can. For a young person to buy a really fancy car, if they could even finance it, would be a bad investment. Cars are liabilities, not assets. But, for the older gentleman, who’s probably worked hard all his life and made wise investments, I applaud his ability to have a fancy car and take pleasure in his ride.

On a final note, I would like to say that someday, in my dreams, I will have a convertible again. (My first two cars were convertibles and I totaled them both. But that’s another story.) Convertibles make everyday, ordinary driving the most fun thing ever. With my luck, though, I’ll probably end up driving a minivan in a few years. Ugh. I hate big cars. They’re so awkward. And they simply can’t turn corners very fast … How appealing is that?

10 comments:

the Joneses said...

Darren and I were chatting one day and he said, "If you could have any car you wanted, what would it be?" Well, of course it would be a vintage Mercedes... the one and only car I ever owned was a yellow '76 Mercedes. So then I asked him, and he said, "A Rolls-Royce."

I paused. "Why can't we both like Chevys? We're a lot more likely to get what we want that way."

But I still dream of tooling around in my Mercedes with "Mrs. Jones" on the license plate.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Women drivers are scary.

Nica said...

Hehe... Joel and I were admiring a brand new BMW... and he told me he might get me one in fifteen years... when I told him he could get me one in thirty. He then qualified that once he starts his own firm, he'll "have to have a nice sedan." We laughed, because we too will probably be driving the large family cars around for the next umpteen years. (He's just promised me he'll never take me on a date in a fifteen passenger van, and I told him I hoped we never HAVE a fifteen passenger van.)

Angel said...

Right now the new Lotus is becoming popular around Portland. http://images.intellichoice.com/images/AutoShows/Big/112_04_nyas_lotuselise_z.jpg It's a very unique car and definitely turns some heads... I've seen a couple in the last month and I have to say, I like it. Last Summer one of the new popular cars was the BMW X3 http://www.autogazeta.com/g/423/wallpaper_x3_1_1024.jpg compact SUV, may very well be in our driveway in a couple years. Angel's favorite car is the Audi Roadster convertible http://www.cars.com/features/autoshow2000/production/audi/images/01_audi_ttroadster.jpg But who knows... it changes every year and the price tag may have something to do with it... just a little.

Dan

Anonymous said...

The nicest car in our parking lot is a 4 year old Chevy Camaro…at least according to the kids caught vandalizing it.

Anonymous said...

in utah, every drives a subaru.

Anonymous said...

that is EVERYONE drives a subaru, I'm not kidding. It scared me.

Anonymous said...

re: Utah drivers-- I think you meant to say that everybody in Utah drives either a Subaru or a Mormon assault vehicle (aka Chevy Suburban or equivalent).

Anonymous said...

The thing you have to remember about most of the world is that they are in debt up to their eye balls and buying a fancy new car with all the bells and whistles just means qualifing for the loan! Scary, isn't it? We have no fear about anyone stealing our big 15 passenger van or our old trusty Toyota. AND, no one wants to even race us either! :( Is this good or bad? -- Virginia Halls

raybanoutlet001 said...

kobe 9 elite
birkenstocks
michael kors outlet online
christian louboutin
michael kors handbags
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags
cheap nfl jerseys
49ers jersey
nike huarache trainers