Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Importance of Blogging

Over the (blessed) long weekend, we spent some time organizing stuff around the house. We had the option of going to Yosemite with my parents but, since it’s been snowing there recently and flooded (and, frankly, I haven’t felt up to tent-camping or going for long drives because of back pain), we opted-out.

In the midst of our organization efforts, we unearthed an old journal I’d kept from the summer of 2002. (I’m sure I would have had a blog back then, too, if they’d been a fad.) I’ve always, ever since I was little, kept a journal. At first, my mom made me do it. Later, I came to love journaling as an outlet for my thoughts and impressions.

Anyway, it was fun to read stories from the summer of 2002 – some of them I’d already forgotten. For instance, the fact that, at Sarah and Nathan’s wedding (July 13), John Vinci (probably the nicest guy ever) threw rice at Kevin as a joke and a rice kernel ended up inside his ear. It bothered him for three days until he finally went to urgent care where a nurse practitioner flushed it out. “Oh yeah,” exclaimed Kevin. “I remember that clearly now!” And then we both had a good chuckle.

You know, I think journaling (and blogging) is important – not only as an outlet but to help you remember, and laugh over, inconsequential things years down the road. It may not be necessary to recall the rice kernel incidences of life … but it sure is fun.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I'm a little thankful, actually, that we all didn't have blogs when we first started law school. =) Imagine!

Anonymous said...

John Vinci is STILL the nicest guy around :)