Monday, May 09, 2005

Introspection

What is it about thunder storms that makes a person reflect? Outside, the thunder is booming, the wind is howling, and torrential rain is pounding on my window.

But for me, it’s not just the weather that makes me introspective. It’s events that have recently transpired in my life. It’s thinking about several old friendships I’ve had for many years that are now different from what they once were. It’s the prospect of starting a new chapter in my life. And it’s the grey sky, the thunder, and the cadenced rain.

People are funny things. They change. Or, at least, they should change. Hopefully we all learn and grown and never remain stagnant. But also, hopefully, we change for the better and not for the worse.

Not only do people change in different ways, but they change at different paces.

While reflecting on certain relationships in my life recently, I’ve had to ask myself how exactly I have changed and how exactly they have changed. Who has changed the most? What changes have been good? What changes are not-so-good?

Although I can’t really answer all of my own questions right now, I’m really glad that one thing is certain – God never changes. He is ever constant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The idea of change has always intrigued me, and one theory I've toyed with is the notion that people generally tend to improve with age. But if so, where does the theory run aground? Obviously people in their twenties tend to be more attractive, well-rounded, socially developed, intelligent, etc., than they were in their teens, and in their thirties they tend to be more mature, wiser, established, etc. So when does this trend end and deterioration set in? Or is it a dynamic measure of a moving target - i.e. you can never be at the peak of everything at once, so you have to average the collective improvements? For instance, the taste buds peak around a few months old (I've heard) and after that it's all downhill on the taste front. One the other hand, it's probably good that we don't have a standard measure for when change stops being an improvement and goes downhill, or else we'd give up on Life after that (like I used to think it wasn't worth living past thirty, since that was SO old!)

~Rose