Monday, May 16, 2005

Giving and Receiving

A few weeks ago several of my girlfriends offered to come over and paint some stripes in our “nursery” so I wouldn’t have to do it. (I had this grand idea to paint stripes, which I had never done before, but was convinced it would add something to the décor. We knew this task would be tedious so we kept putting it off.)

“Amy, it’s just something I want to do for you,” Tara told me. “A way I can help out.” When she said this, I immediately thought, “How sweet and thoughtful, but … I don’t think so.” The reason I think I balked is because I’m one of those people who thinks she can do everything – and no one else should have to go out of their way for me. In my mind, if it’s at all possible for me to do something – squeeze it in my schedule, find the energy, etc. – then I feel like I should do it myself.

But, since Tara was so insistent, I finally agreed to let her and Emily come over and paint last Saturday.

It was hard for me at first. On Saturday I felt like a totally lazy bum as they were busily working upstairs. They told me to just take it easy. This made me feel like a handicap or something. But, you know, while they were working, I kept thinking over and over, “God bless Tara and Emily.” And, although I’ve always known it, I came to realize even more that it’s so wonderful to have friends who are so loving, good, and generous with their time.

I’m learning that, not only is it important to give of myself to other people, it’s also important to allow others to give of themselves to me.

No comments: