Friday, June 17, 2005

The Inestimable Value of Dads

In honor of Father's Day, I'd like to post this article by Rebecca Hagelin on the importance, indeed the necessity, of fathers in our families and in society. It's a great tragedy for our children, for women, and for marriage, that men are often told by our culture that they are irrelevant. Nothing could be farther from the truth. And I believe Ms. Hagelin articulates this concept well.

I've told Kevin numerous times since finding out we're pregnant that "THE best thing I could have ever done for my future children is to pick you to be their dad." And I really mean that.

Happy (first) Father's Day to Kevin! You're going to be SUCH a great dad. I'm looking forward to standing back and watching it all happen!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin's first father's day won't be until next year.

Anonymous said...

Kevin's first Father's Day is very much this year!

At Blue Ridge, unborn babies are completely counted when Mother's Day and Father's Day "door prizes" are handed out. Who has the most children? Count the unborn ones! Who has the youngest baby? Count the unborn one! It's very precious, and I always appreciate the honor it places on life, no matter how young.

Happy Father's Day, Kevin!

~ Leah =)

Anonymous said...

I agree, Happy Father's Day Kevin!! You ARE going to be an awesome father!! I enjoyed Amy's side view pic....I have been waiting for that. You look beautiful Amy. I love pregnant women...easy for me to say. Can't wait to see little baby Koons. Miss you guys! Love, Aunt K

the Joneses said...

I agree with Amy -- you'll be a great dad, Kevin! Since I lost my dad when I was three years old, watching Darren with my kids these first few years has been priceless for me. Now I see how important a daddy is even to a child as young as I was.

Darren celebrated his first Father's Day just before Addie was born, but considering how much care he took of me and Baby, he was very much a daddy by that time!

-- SJ