Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Fat Tuesday

Today is Mardi Gras, or so I heard on the news this morning. This prompted a brief internet search on the history behind Mardi Gras. Last year I finally figured out why some Christians choose to commemorate Lent. So, this year, I figure it’s time for me to broaden my horizons and try to make sense of the hoopla that takes place prior to Lent.

One website said that Mardi Gras “is celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday as a last ‘fling’ prior to the 40 days of Lent which precede Easter. . . . Festivals like Mardi Gras sprang up throughout parts of Europe as a means to prepare for the coming times of self-denial . . . and is celebrated by eating of rich food, that won't be used during Lent.”

All this research has left me with more questions than before I began. What’s the point of having a period of self-denial if you’re just going to live in revelry leading up to your supposed “denial”? Is there anything redeeming or God-glorifying about Mardi Gras? How can a Christian who participates in Mardi Gras suppose that God is pleased with extreme gluttony preceding a period of fasting? And, lastly, I wonder how much Mardi Gras has become secularized, i.e., other than innocent family celebrations, how can a true Christian actually participate in Mardi Gras with a clear conscience? Has Mardi Gras (almost) exclusively become a time merely for pagans to revel in food and sex? How many people celebrate Mardi Gras and ignore Lent?

The best part about Mardi Gras, I think, is that it means there’s only 47 more days ‘til Easter. Easter is my favorite holiday. (But Kevin would tell you: “Every holiday is her favorite holiday.” I just told him last week that Valentine’s is my favorite holiday. So, go figure.)

3 comments:

quizwedge said...

I don't think there's supposed to be Christian meaning to Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras, Carnival, etc. all seem to range from "fun party" to witchcraft. The whole idea of the day is "me". It makes Lent easier, in some ways, I guess, but I don't think it ever served a higher purpose.

Some more information on Mardi Gras: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_gras

Apparantly the colors of Mardi Gras (I didn't even realize there were colors) stand for Justice, Faith, and Power.

Anonymous said...

Heard a speaker last night addressing Lent...he referred to Matthew 6:1-6....food for thought!
Elizabeth

Rachelle said...

Actually Fat Tuesday was a day when one used up all the foods in their kitchen they were giving up for Lent. It was a means of cleansing the home to make ready for a time of quiet reflection and prayer. The sex part--well, many serious married liturgical worshippers gave up sexual relations during Lent, so I imagine Mardi Gras involved sex as well. Unfortunately what started off as HOLY turned into a chance for revelry. You can bet those who celebrate Mardi Gras with unlicensed sex and debauchery are probably not observing Lent. -rlr