Monday, February 07, 2005

Cliff-Hanger

Kevin has a friend at work, Braiden, who burned a copy of Shawshank Redemption for us to watch. Apparently Braiden felt like we just had to see this movie. After catching the very tail end of the Super Bowl yesterday, we decided to watch it. It was completely mesmerizing. When I heard it was about a bunch of guys in prison, I thought it would be depressing. (I don’t tend to like prison movies.) But while it had its dark moments, I was surprised at how good and enjoyably suspenseful it was. The character development was excellent and the plot twists were surprising. We were on the edge of our seats . . . until, toward the very end of the movie, the burned copy suddenly wouldn’t play anymore. Apparently the movie either hadn’t been burned all the way on the DVD or there was a flaw in the DVD that wouldn’t let us watch the rest of the film. And, would you know it, it quit working at the pinnacle of excitement and suspense. After trying for several minutes, unsuccessfully, to get the DVD to work, we gave up. It was SO frustrating to quit a movie at the most exciting part. I had all these unanswered questions swirling through my head:

Where did Andy go?
What is under the brick, where he proposed to his wife?
Did he ever get to Mexico?
Did his friend Red ever get out of prison?
Was the corrupt warden ever punished?
Was Andy ever proved innocent?

Sigh . . . so many loose ends. Hopefully Braiden can pull through for us so we can watch the rest of it tonight or tomorrow. I hate that cliff-hanger feeling. I don’t think I’ve had that feeling since my Nancy Drew days. :-/

We weren’t total couch-potatoes yesterday, though. After church (and lunch) we went hiking up in Auburn (about 15 miles east of us). It was a gorgeous, sunny day – perfect for hiking. This time of the year in California is really beautiful – the grass is bright green and all of the buds are starting to come out on the trees and bushes.

On the way back, Kevin veered onto another road to take an alternate route home through some rolling hills. It was fun to take a scenic Sunday-afternoon drive. He then veered a second time when he saw a tunnel: “Ooh, a tunnel!” he exclaimed. “Let’s drive underneath it.” I love it when he’s spontaneous like that. I also love the fact that we can enjoy simple things together; like driving under tunnels. (Of course, I always like to honk the horn whenever I drive under a tunnel, too. Kevin, being the extra-considerate one, obliges me only whenever there are no other cars around.) :-)

7 comments:

Angel said...

LOL, I totally know how that feels to have a DVD be defective at the worst possible time. Do you suppose that the whole pirated media issue came to the Lord's attention and he inflicted your DVD with a malfunction right when it mattered most? Just kidding. Anyway, it's a great movie and the ending is good - you'll have to see it. We have talked of living in or around Auburn, can't wait to see it when we come down there in March. we went for a bit of a drive yesterday too - just exploring random roads in towns we've never been to. Always fun.

Dan

Amy K said...

Auburn is gorgeous. I would highly recommend living there - if you can find a job there, that is. Interestingly, the most beautiful places in the world tend to be overly-saturated with lawyers. We would have loved to live on the central cost of CA, for instance, but jobs there were practically nonexistent! Anyway . . . One of the best "perks" to living in Roseville is that Auburn is only a few minutes down the road. :)

As to pirating, I was assured that if the DVD wasn't sold to us for profit, it was okay to copy. Although, I probably should look into it further. I don't want to be disbarred for receiving stolen property. ;-)

Amy

Angel said...

Auburn would be great, but anywhere we can get work is probably going to be best. I love (in theory anyway) that stretch between Sac and Auburn - seems like a nice place to live.

I dunno what the pirating media rules actually are. Take Napster for instance, thousands of individuals all "sharing" music on a huge forum - not selling but giving - and the government prosecuted a lot of the people for doing that after they shut the site down. I think anytime you copy and distribute anything copyrighted for purposes other than use by the person who paid for it is considered illegal. Might be an interesting study.

Rachelle said...

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies. I am surprised you didn't run out and rent it. Interestingly, it didn't do great at the box office when it came out, but it is one of the Top 20 rentals of all time. I even convinced my brother to watch it (he boycotts Tim Robbins because of his political agenda). -rlr

quizwedge said...

Auburn is beautiful (I moved out here and took a job with Aaron because I knew the area was beautiful, among other reasons), but I think the stretch between Auburn and Reno is better than the stretch from Auburn to Sacramento. I also like driving down highway 49 and crossing the American River. Unfortunately, the problem with Auburn is not just jobs. It's also the cost of housing.

Anonymous said...

Yes it is a classic movie....go and rent a real copy and see the end...it's worth it....You didn't really think I was going to tell you the ending....;)

A voice from the wilderness formerly called IN...Uncle Mike

Kevin said...

Ah, yes, closure. We finally saw the ending last night. What a great movie!