Friday, February 11, 2005

People Watching

I love to people watch. This is one reason I particularly like airports; there are all sorts of people of all different types and personalities, all in one place. And I can sit and watch them all I want until the loudspeaker announces my flight.

Yesterday I had two very different opportunities to people watch. In the afternoon, I sat in a crowded board room with a bunch of political nerds (I really like these people but, yes, they are nerds). Later on in the day I went to another open-night gym basketball game to watch Kevin play.

You know how they say, if you’re nervous while making a speech, you should just imagine everyone sitting in the audience in their underwear? Well, I can’t say that I’ve ever done that, but I do often imagine people as they might have looked in their childhood . . . without the gray hair and wrinkles, with innocent young faces. It’s quite amusing for me to do this. So, yesterday, I was picturing all these political people as little boys, on their respective playgrounds, and wondering what they were like as children. It was fun for me to think about. (It makes these types of meetings SO much more interesting.) And then . . . the basketball game – same thing. These guys playing ball are so funny to me. (Maybe it’s just that I’ve developed a better sense of humor over the years? Not sure – but I’ve never been so amused by basketball games in all my life!) I can picture the players as young boys, with the same temperaments, antics, and personalities. And it really makes me laugh! Aloud, even.

Maybe it’s just that I feel like I can learn more about people when I see them in a different light and think of them as previous children. After all, when you strip away all the seriousness, responsibility, and pride, adults and children are really very much alike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never thought of doing this...but an interesting idea. I too have found going to watch hubby and son play basketball with others to be a funny thing to do...helps to have some ear plugs too in noisy gyms...but you can find some very funny things happening there!
Elizabeth

Queen of Carrots said...

My favorite way to people-watch is to visualize each person as belonging to some different time or place, and try to find the one that seems to fit them the best--one person might be transformed into a Wild West sheriff, another might become a medieval duchess, etc. Imagining what people were like as kids is fun, too.