Friday, February 04, 2005

Hangin' with the Hood

Last night Kevin was bemoaning the fact that he’s been getting precious little exercise lately. In an effort to mend that predicament, we drove over to the local sports complex so he could play basketball in the gym. I sat in the bleachers to watch. And I think I had more fun than he did. It was hysterical. It seemed like all the guys from the Hood had come out to play. There were all sorts of colors, shapes, and sizes. The smallest guy was a little kid! (But he was, actually, better than some of the adults.) Some of the guys’ moves were so predictable. This one guy on Kevin’s team always (only) shot from the three-pointer line. The funny thing was that he never made a single shot! Watching all these funny guys made me laugh constantly – throughout the entire game!!

I later told Kevin that I enjoy watching amateur basketball so much better than the NBA because amateurs take things so much more personally. “Okay,” he said, “You’re weird.” But I think we both already know that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...sounds like the kind of game I have enjoyed. What fun!

And what is wrong with being weird? HA! I think we already have too many "cookie cutter" types in this world don't you?
Elizabeth