Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Unique Dining

Last night Kevin took me to a belated birthday dinner at a fondue restaurant called The Melting Pot. I’d been wanting to go for quite a while and have been very patient about this. (Right Kev?) It was absolutely fabulous – a truly unique dining experience. There is something incredibly bonding about sharing a common pot with friends and loved ones. The waiter made a Swiss cheese fondue at our table and then brought an assortment of meats, vegetables, batters, and dips for the meat fondue. Of course, we had to end with chocolate fondue – even though Kevin said it was borderline gluttony. And gluttony, as you know, is a sin.

Anyway, The Melting Pot is a chain and, if there’s one near you, I highly recommend it. Only plan on spending all evening there – it took us 2 ½ hours to eat everything. And you’ll probably want to make reservations in advance. The nice thing about last night was being able to just sit and relax for a few hours. It was great to take a break and not feel rushed to move on to the next thing in life.

Okay, now I’ve gotta go rush on to the next project at the office!!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Amy - Is it pretty reasonably priced? We have a family we are wanting to get a gift certificate for as the husband recently served our family in a huge way. They have 4 teenaged kids - what would be your guess for 6 grown people?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

To see what happens to gluttonous people, see the movie Seven.

Anonymous said...

Ah, heaven on earth is that place! Nathan and I went for my birthday last year. It was sooo good. We did the fondue for two and then topped it off with the dark chocolate fondue for dessert. Yum. You're making my stomach growl with hunger.

The website for those of you who want to dine at one is: http://www.meltingpot.com/. Please note it IS expensive, but a worthwhile expense every now and then.

Sarah M.

Amy K said...

Megan - It's actually fairly pricey but, like Sarah said, worth it for those occasional, very memorable, dining experiences. Dinner for two, plus a small chocolate fondue, will cost about eighty bucks plus tip.

I've heard it said before that couples often eat out at medium-priced places when, instead (to make things more fun and memorable), they should eat at more lower-end places so they can afford to splurge now and then at a more expensive restaurant. I personally think this is good advice. Because we try to do this, we've had the chance to dine out at a few really nice places - and I don't think I'll soon forget how fun and romantic those dinners were! (In fact, one dinner in particular, I can still taste how good the food was, remember the décor of the restaurant, the server’s face, and what I wore that night! That’s how distinct it was!)

-Amy

Angel said...

This place is awesome! My office manager took me out for my birthday with some other co-workers. There's one only two blocks from my office... Angel really wants to go and I am hoping to take her soon :-)

Jonathan said...

Ah, fondue. I returned last night from a week in Geneva where they have cheese coming out the wazoo. I had way more fondue than is healthy for a normal person. I had a hard time explaining to my Swazi friend that the whole meal "really was just cheese and bread."