Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Scatter-Brained

Since all of you, I’m sure, want to know every single detail of my pregnant life (ha!), I will chronicle for you the latest episode: Experiencing Symptoms of Absentmindedness.

As I said yesterday, it was an interesting day, full of unexpected negative things. As a result, I became very flustered. They say that pregnant women tend to be absentminded anyway, but I think the day’s events triggered this symptom even more so. Lately I’ve been doing really scary things. On my way to a friend’s house last night for a “spa” party (kind of like a Pampered Chef party, but even better ‘cuz you get a foot-soak and a facial, which I really needed last night), I got lost . . . twice. The funny thing is that I’ve been to this friend’s house a hundred times before! I kept getting mixed up and forgot all the names of the streets. On my way home, I felt like things were under control. Suddenly I noticed that the landmarks on the side of the road didn’t look very familiar. I glanced up at the street sign at a stop light and realized I was on the wrong street, many miles away from where I was supposed to be. A twenty-minute drive home ended up taking forty minutes! (My driving is already bad, without adding any absentmindedness to the equation.) If this weren’t bad enough, I also feel like I’ve been spilling things more often lately. And I’ve been forgetting basic, elementary information – like the names of people I should know. Ugh. This is one symptom of pregnancy that I absolutely didn’t expect.

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

And for all of you men who are rolling your eyes about now and thinking, "Nice excuse," it is a medically-documented fact! So please help your wives by putting the toothpaste out where she won't forget to brush her teeth, encouraging her to stick to easy recipes without a lot of ingredients (one of which she may leave out) and leaving a map on the seat of the car. -rlr

Anonymous said...

This is so funny! I'd heard about this phenomenon, of course, but never expected it to happen to ME. I think it must be the worst in the first two trimesters, though - I can so clearly remember standing in front of the microwave trying at least ten times to set it for a minute. Michael finally walked in and reminded me that you have to push the 'Time Cook' button first.

~Rose

Queen of Carrots said...

Alas, I was so scatterbrained to begin with, no one has ever been able to detect an increase in pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

It's good to see that you've recognized your gender-specific deficiency. Most women never do. Unfortunately, you have credited your pregnancy for the cause of your spaciness. Please seek professional help so you can accept this flaw that is present in all females and adjust accordingly.

This, of course, also applies to male's inability to multi-task, but that discussion is for another time.

Amy K said...

Anonymous:

"It's good to see that you've recognized your gender-specific deficiency."

Um, I never said it was gender-specific. (In fact, I rather dislike gender generalizations - probably because I tend to have much more in common with many guy friends than girl friends.) I happen to know quite a few VERY spacy men out there. And I also know several rather astute, observant, and "put-together" females. I think it has more to do with personality type (see, for instance, the link below on "brain types," than it does with gender).

"Unfortunately, you have credited your pregnancy."

Well, it must be "unfortuante" that many physicians and medical scientists have also credited symptoms of absentmindedness with pregnancy. See books like "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and the various websites out there with info on pregancy symptoms, like iVillage pregancy, babycenter.com, StorkNet, etc.

"Please seek professional help."

I hope you're joking. If you are, here's a polite "ha, ha." If you're not . . . sorry about your lack of information. Hopefully this post will fix that.

-Amy

Info on brain types: http://www.braintypes.com/16_types.htm

Amy K said...

Here is a link on absentmindedness in pregnancy:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/prenatalhealth/236.html

Megan said...

Any medical information in there guaranteeing that moms get their memory back after the baby comes? Because after 4 of them, my absent-mindedness just seemed to grow with every pregnancy.

A carabiner worked absolute miracles for my "misplaced keys" syndrome. Haven't lost them since my first pregnancy.

The downside to the growing absentmindedness is that now I have more important things to be responsible for... where in the world did I put my kids? (Kidding... sorta...)

Anonymous said...

After looking at the links you provided, I stand corrected...you have NOT recognized your gender-specific deficiency.

Also, it is apparent that your pregnancy (notice I didn't say gender) has dampened your ability to detect sarcasm/good natured ribbing.

Oh, and please don't take this out on Kevin tonight. :)